Software Engineering, Other Engineering
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Saturday, May 6, 2023
Attentive® is the leader in conversational commerce, reinventing business to consumer communication. Our SMS-first software platform helps everyone from entrepreneurs to enterprises strengthen relationships with their consumers in a new way. Through two-way, real-time, personalized communications, we drive billions in e-commerce revenue and over 8,000 leading brands like CB2, Urban Outfitters, Crocs, Jack in the Box, and Coach rely on Attentive to deliver powerful commerce experiences.
Attentive’s growth has been recognized by Deloitte’s Fast 500, Linkedin’s Top Startups and Forbes Cloud 100 all thanks to the hard work from our global employees!
Our engineering department consists of 200+ people across multiple teams, such as application development, infrastructure, data platform, machine learning, and security. We believe our company will win in the long run through product innovation. To get there, we obsess over iteratively delivering customer value through rapid prototyping and data-driven decision-making.
We're looking for an Engineering Manager to lead a newly formed team of Engineers working to develop and enhance our marketing platform by automating the everyday marketer task’s by leveraging machine learning. This is a true full-stack management role. You will contribute to the development of frontend features, infrastructure and machine learning models across the Attentive platform and work with Product Management and Engineering to implement end-to-end use cases.
This is a hands-on role where you are expected to balance people management, technical oversight, and cross-functional leadership.
Why Attentive needs you:
- You’ll participate in the detailed technical design, development, implementation and support of web stack and machine learning and its capabilities applications using existing and emerging technology platforms.
- You will collaborate with our product management team to craft plans to achieve our business goals.
- Continue to grow the team, build upon the great culture, and nail the execution
- You'll serve as a technical domain expert in machine learning, data processing, data serving architectural design decisions, developing and reviewing model and application code, and ensuring high availability and performance of our applications.
- You are an effective people manager, who can manage high-performing teams, and helps them reach their highest potential.
- You are an excellent coach, mentor, and developer of engineers.
- You care about software quality, and have a track record of building reliable, high-uptime systems.
- You translate business needs into clearly scoped projects, and take a hands-on approach to steer solution design and implementation
- You are excited by new technologies, yet know how to evaluate and choose the right tools for the right reasons.
- 8,000 brands powered by Attentive sent over 1.6 billion text messages over Cyber Week 2022 (Black Friday/Cyber Monday) representing a growth of 41% from 2021
- We sent 24 billion SMS messages in 2022. That’s an average of 50 million per day
- Our production cluster contains over 9,000 containers which serve 170+ services
- Our streaming services process over 28 billion events per month
- Our infrastructure runs primarily in Kubernetes hosted in AWS’s EKS
- Infrastructure tooling includes Istio, Datadog, Terraform, CloudFlare, and Helm
- Our backend is Java / Spring Boot microservices, built with Gradle, coupled with things like DynamoDB, Kinesis, AirFlow, Postgres, Planetscale, and Redis, hosted via AWS.
- Our frontend is built with React and TypeScript, and uses best practices like GraphQL, Storybook, Radix UI, Vite, esbuild, and Playwright
- Our automation is driven by custom and open source machine learning models, lots of data and built with Python, Metaflow, HuggingFace 🤗, PyTorch, TensorFlow, and Pandas.
Attentive Company Values
Default to Action - Speed is our best offense and defense
Never Settle - Continuously raise the bar for yourself and your teammates
Hard Work Solves Big Problems - Success requires grit and resilience
Be Attentive - Work together as a team to drive greatness for our company and our customers
Learn more about AWAKE, Attentive’s collective of employee resource groups.
If you do not meet all the requirements listed here, we still encourage you to apply! No job description is perfect, and we may also have another opportunity that closely matches your skills and experience.
At Attentive, we know that our Company's strength lies in the diversity of our employees. Attentive is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we welcome applicants from all backgrounds. Our policy is to provide equal employment opportunities for all employees, applicants and covered individuals regardless of protected characteristics. We prioritize and maintain a fair, inclusive and equitable workplace free from discrimination, harassment, and retaliation.
See more open positions at Attentive
Something looks off?