Senior Database Reliability Engineer
Checkr builds people infrastructure for the future of work. And we believe everyone should have a fair chance to work. That's why we've designed a faster—and fairer—way to screen job seekers. Established in 2014 and valued at $5B, Checkr puts modern technology powered by machine learning in the hands of hiring teams, helping thousands of companies like Uber, Instacart, Netflix, Compass Group, and Adecco to hire great new people with an experience that’s fast, smooth, and safe.
A career at Checkr means collaborating with brilliant minds, disrupting an industry, and opening channels of employment to often overlooked candidates. Checkr has been recognized as one of BuiltIn's 2023 Best Places to Work in the US and is a Y Combinator 2023 Breakthrough Company and Top Company by Valuation.
As a Senior Database Reliability Engineer at Checkr, you will be primarily responsible for managing cloud database infrastructure, backup policies and processes, and performance tuning and troubleshooting across a breadth of database platforms. Beyond this, you will help enable our software teams to maximize their understanding and efficient usage of our database systems.
What a typical week may look like at Checkr:
- Design and recommend database architectures that address resiliency, durability, and high availability concerns
- Provision and administer database and database-adjacent cloud resources using Infrastructure as Code
- Maintain and troubleshoot database systems in production, staging, and sandbox environments
- Optimize database performance at query, schema, and instance levels
- Embrace and extend BCDR and data protection practices across availability zones, regions, accounts, and providers
- Work closely with the CloudOps team to align on infrastructure best practices
- Implement security best practices for data stores
- Automate common database tasks to reduce toil
- Work closely with SRE team and improve observability (alerting, metrics, monitoring) of database schema and infrastructure
- Take part in incident response, diagnosis and follow-up on system outages or alerts across Checkr’s customer-serving infrastructure
What you bring:
- 5+ years of experience working with relational database concepts, storage systems and architectures
- Advanced level of experience with Postgres, MySQL, and Mongo database administration and replication topologies at scale
- Experience working with AWS cloud databases such as RDS, Aurora, DynamoDB, ElasticCache, MongoDB Atlas
- Solid people skills and ability to guide software engineers through database best practices with regards to security, schema design, and migrations at scale
- Experience working with Infrastructure-as-code tools such as Terraform and Terragrunt
- An automation mindset that strives to reduce manual interventions wherever relevant
- Nice to have: Gitlab, Github gh-ost, automation tooling knowledge
What you get:
- A fast-paced and collaborative environment
- Learning and development allowance
- Competitive compensation and opportunity for advancement
- 100% medical, dental and vision coverage
- Flexible PTO policy
- Monthly wellness stipend, home office stipend
One of Checkr’s core values is Transparency. To live by that value, we’ve made the decision to disclose salary ranges in all of our job postings. We use geographic cost of labor as an input to develop ranges for our roles and as such, each location where we hire may have a different range. If this role is remote, we have listed the top to the bottom of the possible range, but we will specify the target range for an exact location when you are selected for a recruiting discussion. For more information on our compensation philosophy, see our website.
At Checkr, we believe a hybrid work environment strengthens collaboration, drives innovation, and encourages connection. Our hub locations are Denver, CO, San Francisco, CA, and Santiago, Chile. Individuals are expected to work from the office 2 to 3 days a week. In-office perks are provided, such as lunch four times a week, a commuter stipend, and an abundance of snacks and beverages.
The salary range for this role is $125,787 to $170,183 in Denver, CO.
Equal Employment Opportunities at Checkr
Checkr is committed to hiring talented and qualified individuals with diverse backgrounds for all of its tech, non-tech, and leadership roles. Checkr believes that the gathering and celebration of unique backgrounds, qualities, and cultures enriches the workplace.
Checkr also welcomes the opportunity to consider qualified applicants with prior arrest or conviction records. Checkr’s commitment to diversity extends to hiring talented individuals in spite of a prior criminal history in accordance with local, state, and/or federal laws, including the San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance.