Staff Machine Learning Engineer
About the Role
In this role, you'll be part of the Data Science and Platform (DSP) team, responsible for developing innovative data solutions at Chime. You will work across teams at Chime to ensure that the data-related needs of various business domains such as fraud, credit, marketing, and product are met. You will own strategic initiatives end to end, influence decision-making, mentor data scientists and engineers, serve as a role model, and lead others in solving business problems based on Chime's evolving requirements. The ideal candidate will demonstrate proficiency in data analysis, statistics, machine learning, and software engineering while also possessing the ability to learn new domains and collaborate effectively with team members. Your focus will be on building AI capabilities to help Chime navigate the constantly evolving landscape of the fintech industry.
The base salary offered for this role and level of experience will begin at $216,800.00 and up to $307,100.00. Full-time employees are also eligible for a bonus, competitive equity package, and benefits. The actual base salary offered may be higher, depending on your location, skills, qualifications, and experience.
In this role, you can expect to
- Lead the AI strategy for various business challenges partnering with data, product, business, and engineering leaderships.
- Become a Subject Matter Expert (SME) on Chime's various data domains and leverage novel approaches to address business needs effectively.
- Architect, build, and deploy innovative models and systems.
- Collaborate closely with data scientists and engineers to create scalable data solutions.
- Stay at the forefront of the constantly evolving AI landscape, championing innovations that can significantly benefit Chime and its valued members.
- Engage actively with Chime's data community, promoting scientific rigor and fostering community participation and enthusiasm.
- Proactively identify gaps and promote best practices, ensuring high technical standards across various data science teams.
- Mentor and coach data scientists and engineers, aiding in their professional growth
To thrive in this role, you have
- Proven track record of innovating and solving company-sized business problems across multiple data domains.
- Demonstrated influential communication with various business, data and engineering functions in building data solutions, aligning on strategic directions.
- Mastery in advanced techniques, such as GBMs, Deep Learning, Graph Neural Networks, Causal Inference, Bayesian statistics, etc.
- Expertise in building systems using cloud-native architectures
- A technology-agnostic approach, adapting fluidly to different prediction or inference techniques and tech-stacks while obsessed on results.
- Fostered and scaled data communities, amplifying collaboration and shared learning.
- Established track record of coaching and mentoring, driving team excellence, and elevating junior talents.
- A team player and empathetic attitude, complemented by effective communication skills with both technical and non-technical partners.
A little about us
At Chime, we believe that everyone can achieve financial progress. We’re passionate about developing solutions and services to empower people to succeed. Every day, we start with empathy for our members and stay motivated by our desire to support them in ways that make a meaningful difference.
We created Chime—a financial technology company, not a bank*-- founded on the premise that basic banking services should be helpful, transparent, and fair. Chime helps unlock the access and ability our members need to overcome the systemic barriers that block them from moving forward. By providing members with access to liquidity, rewards, and credit building, our easy-to-use tools and intuitive platforms give members the ability to have more control over their money and to take action toward achieving their financial ambitions.
So far, we’re well-loved by our members and proud to have helped millions of people unlock financial progress, whether they started a savings account, bought their first car or home, opened a business, or went to college. Every day, we’re inspired by our members’ dreams and successes, big and small.
We’re uniting everyday people to unlock their financial progress—will you join us?
*Chime partners with The Bancorp Bank and Stride Bank, N.A., Members FDIC, that power the bank accounts used by Chime Members.
What we offer
- 💰 Competitive salary based on experience
- ✨ 401k match plus great medical, dental, vision, life, and disability benefits
- 🏝 Generous vacation policy and company-wide Take Care of Yourself Days
- 🫂 1% of your time off to support local community organizations of your choice
- 🧠 Mental health support with therapy and coaching through Modern Health
- 👶 16 weeks of paid parental leave for all parents and an additional 6-8 weeks for birthing parents
- 👪 Access to Maven, a family planning tool, with up to $10k in reimbursement for egg freezing, fertility treatments, adoption, and more.
- 💻 Hybrid work perks, like UrbanSitter and Kinside for backup child, elder and/or pet care, as well as a subsidized commuter benefit
- 🏢 A thoughtful hybrid work policy that combines in-office days and trips to team and company-wide events depending on location to ensure you stay connected to your work and teammates, whether you’re local to one of our offices or remote
- 🎉 In-person and virtual events to connect with your fellow Chimers—think cooking classes, guided meditations, music festivals, mixology classes, paint nights, etc., and delicious snack boxes, too!
- 💚 A challenging and fulfilling opportunity to join one of the most experienced teams in FinTech and help millions unlock financial progress
We know that great work can’t be done without a diverse team and inclusive environment. That’s why we specifically look for individuals of varying strengths, skills, backgrounds, and ideas to join our team. We believe this gives us a competitive advantage to better serve our members and helps us all grow as Chimers and individuals.
We hire candidates of any race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital or family status, disability, Veteran status, and any other status. Chime is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, Cook County Ordinance, and consistent with Canadian provincial and federal laws. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
To learn more about how Chime collects and uses your personal information during the application process, please see the Chime Applicant Privacy Notice.