Senior Data Platform Engineer - (m/w/d)
To solve one of our generation's largest problems, we need the world’s best talent.
Our vision is to enable a sustainable food system. Our technology is already enabling thousands of restaurants, wholesalers, and producers across 7 countries to operate waste-free and efficiently. Yet, this is a drop into the ocean. We just started. Our goal to connect the global food system is extremely ambitious and complex. A problem of this magnitude and complexity requires a massive scale and only the best people will be able to solve it. We are gathering the best people globally together in order to succeed in our mission. Are you in?
For us, it is always team-first. Teams in which everyone subordinates their individual success to the team's success will win against teams that don't. Can you put your ego aside?
We are looking for the hungry underdogs that will rather fail than not try. We look for humility because it makes us learn faster. And we look for people who understand that hard work is necessary and that shortcuts don’t exist. We are playing the long game and want to build a truly generational company.
Our mission requires us to be fast. We believe that urgency is a mindset. We look for people who act with speed in everything they do, yet never lose sight of the bigger picture.
Fun plays an important role. We want to succeed and celebrate when we do. It is important to us that our people form real bonds in and outside of work.
We have no small plans, we are assembling a championship team, with people that take real ownership of our company’s long-term success. If you feel this is for you, then deep inside you, you might be already one of us.
See what we’ve been up to: bit.ly/3BX0kYj
As a Senior Data Platform Engineer at Choco, you will be responsible for setting the longer term technical vision of our Data Platform in order to support the data needs of our internal and external users. You’ll be designing and building the data infrastructure and platform that supports our analytics engineering, data science, business intelligence and product analytics teams. You’ll be a key member of the Data team, working closely with stakeholders from engineering, product and operations to understand their and Choco customers’ future data needs and building data products to meet those needs.
What you’ll do
- Become a key contributor to our data platform, working with a highly motivated team to spread the “data as a product” mindset across the entire company by empowering with infrastructure and expanding tooling and education
- Own, define, plan, and deliver data projects while collaborating cross-functionally with several teams
- Build Choco’s ML platform from the ground up
- Mentor other data engineers to strengthen core team knowledge
- Construct the bridge between our product and data platform, impacting core features and our user base
What we’re looking for
- Solid background in data engineering with a strong interest in the product side
- Experience in MLOps and building tooling for data scientists
- Strong foundation in Python, SQL and a range of data tools. Spark shouldn't be foreign to you
- Proven experience building data platforms and infrastructure. Confidence using technologies like AWS, Airflow, Presto, Databricks, Redshift, Looker or similar
- Strong ability to take ownership and independently coordinate projects
- Strong communication skills combined with a product-savvy attitude
- Eagerness to learn, open-mindedness, and self-organizational skills will key to your success in this role
We look forward to seeing you in the office a minimum of three days per week.
Being together in person is an important part of our company culture. We’ve found that spending time as a team enables collaboration, participation, and engagement that leads to innovation, faster execution, and shared ownership. Plus, we see the value of camaraderie and genuinely enjoy our time together.
Need a better idea of who we are? Take a video tour of our headquarters in Berlin.
Choco was founded in Berlin in 2018 and has since expanded to a team of over 400 committed Chocorians working from Choco offices in the US, France, Belgium, Germany, Austria, the UK, and Spain. Our ordering app is used by over 15K buyers and over 10K suppliers around the globe - processing hundreds of thousands of tons of food every month.
We raised over $280mn from some of the world’s best investors like Bessemer Venture Partners, Insight Partners, Coatue Management, and LeftLane Capital. We are the first unicorn to reduce food waste.
We’re working alongside those who built companies like Google, Facebook, Amazon, Uber, Rocket Internet, and more.
Choco is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage people from all backgrounds to apply. We are committed to ensuring that our technology is available and accessible to everyone. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Something looks off?