To solve one of our generation's largest problems, we need the world’s best talent.
Our vision is to enable a sustainable food system. Our technology is already enabling thousands of restaurants, wholesalers, and producers across 7 countries to operate waste-free and efficiently. Yet, this is a drop into the ocean. We just started. Our goal to connect the global food system is extremely ambitious and complex. A problem of this magnitude and complexity requires a massive scale and only the best people will be able to solve it. We are gathering the best people globally together in order to succeed in our mission. Are you in?
For us, it is always team-first. Teams in which everyone subordinates their individual success to the team's success will win against teams that don't. Can you put your ego aside?
We are looking for the hungry underdogs that will rather fail than not try. We look for humility because it makes us learn faster. And we look for people who understand that hard work is necessary and that shortcuts don’t exist. We are playing the long game and want to build a truly generational company.
Our mission requires us to be fast. We believe that urgency is a mindset. We look for people who act with speed in everything they do, yet never lose sight of the bigger picture.
Fun plays an important role. We want to succeed and celebrate when we do. It is important to us that our people form real bonds in and outside of work.
We have no small plans, we are assembling a championship team, with people that take real ownership of our company’s long-term success. If you feel this is for you, then deep inside you, you might be already one of us.
See what we’ve been up to: bit.ly/3BX0kYj
Meet your team
Unlocking tech potential. Humble may not be the right word, since our aspirations are global and we think big. We are needed. And the team knows that. We get a sense that this is why people not only join our team, they join the mission as a fellow visionary. We’re not programmers, engineers, or marketers - we’re trailblazers. We are launching new cross-functional teams focusing on implementing business-critical, user-facing product features across our mobile and web platforms. Your main mission will be to support and guide your team in order to build and deliver a range of product features. As an early joiner of this team, you will focus on building the rest of the engineering team together with the PM, incept and design the system and start the implementation. In the early stages of work, this role will be mostly about hands-on engineering and hiring which will gradually transition towards people management and technical leadership. You will build a connected team and once it is complete, you will work directly with 10-12 people from a range of backgrounds: product management, product design, backend engineering, web development, Android engineering, iOS engineering and QA automation.
What you’ll do
- Support your team and ensure they are aligned, performant, fulfilled and continuously develop both technically and personally via One on Ones
- Nurture a healthy team culture and make sure different functions collaborate well
- Take active part in interviewing and hiring engineers from diverse backgrounds for your own and other teams
- Take complete and end to end technical ownership of a new product
- Share your knowledge, develop expertise in our product and grow with your team to become an even greater engineering manager.
The technology you’ll work with
- We have a cutting-edge environment and use NodeJS, TypeScript, GraphQL, AWS DynamoDB and our infrastructure is powered by AWS SNS, AWS SQS, AWS Lambda, AWS AppSync, AWS CloudFormation, AWS CodePipeline and AWS S3.
- We use React, TypeScript, micro frontends architecture, Jest, Styled Components for our web frontend. Our mobile apps are written in Kotlin and Swift and we utilize AppSync with GraphQL.
- We also utilize Data Engineering and Data Science to implement analytics and smart features for our product and operations.
What we’re looking for
- 2+ years of experience in managing an engineering team of 6+ people. Good people management, ability to build trust, interviewing skills and ability to build a healthy engineering culture. Your overall experience in delivering software solutions and products should be more than 8+ years.
- Experience in designing and building complex products (in any areas from the following: mobile, microservices, event-driven architecture, integrations and APIs)
- Good knowledge in system design, software architecture and scaling applications
- Ability to drive and deliver large features and projects spanning across multiple sprints with significant business impact
- Strong communication skills combined with influence and eagerness to share and develop others
- The drive to use your skills where it makes a positive impact
Choco was founded in Berlin in 2018 and has since expanded to a team of over 400 committed Chocorians working from Choco offices in the US, France, Belgium, Germany, Austria, the UK, and Spain. Our ordering app is used by over 15K buyers and over 10K suppliers around the globe - processing hundreds of thousands of tons of food every month.
We raised over $280mn from some of the world’s best investors like Bessemer Venture Partners, Insight Partners, Coatue Management, and LeftLane Capital. We are the first unicorn to reduce food waste.
We’re working alongside those who built companies like Google, Facebook, Amazon, Uber, Rocket Internet, and more.
Choco is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage people from all backgrounds to apply. We are committed to ensuring that our technology is available and accessible to everyone. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.