Technical Support Manager - Bangalore, India
Databases are the beating heart of every business in the world.
Cockroach Labs is the creator of CockroachDB, the planet's most highly evolved cloud-native, distributed SQL database that scales fast, survives anything, and thrives anywhere. Join us on our mission to unshackle teams from the constraints of their database and enable every developer to build world-changing applications!
About the Role
The Technical Support Manager will be responsible for managing and leading a team of technical support professionals in the APAC region, ensuring their success in delivering exceptional technical support to our customers. This role will involve creating and implementing support strategies, resolving complex technical issues, and collaborating with cross-functional teams to improve our products and services. This team is responsible for all L 1 technical support during the APAC timezone.
- Lead, mentor, and motivate a team of technical support engineers to successfully navigate their day-to-day by providing them necessary resources and access to individuals who can help them accomplish their goals at Cockroach Labs.
- Manage the allocation of resources, including staffing, to ensure adequate coverage and response times.
- Monitor and report on support metrics, such as response times, resolution times, and customer satisfaction.
- Set performance goals, monitor progress, and conduct regular performance evaluations.
- Foster a culture of excellence and continuous improvement within the support team.
- Collaborate with managers across teams to tackle people management challenges, and ensure the coordination of documentation and product initiatives as we scale.
- Participate in a manager on call rotation with the rest of the leadership team.
- Coach and provide direct feedback to your team to guide personal development and growth beyond just technical skills. Managing performance and ensuring individuals achieve their goals is essential to retaining a high-performing team.
- Exemplify our values: aim high, establish balance, be transparent about highs and lows; and respect. These are especially important as you begin to grow the team.
- Be excited to bring your technical understanding and product architecture knowledge to Cockroach Labs and learn more about databases.
- Stay updated on product knowledge and industry trends to provide expert guidance to both the team and customers.
- Collaborate with other departments to ensure the support team has the necessary information and resources to effectively assist customers.
- Serve as a point of contact between the support team and other departments, such as engineering, product development, and sales.
In your first 30 days, you will become an integrated member of the team. We believe it's essential for you to take this first month to become familiar with our technology and our company.
After three months, you will be fully integrated into the team and comfortable with CockroachDB and the various processes, tools, and utilities. You’ll manage an existing team of APAC Technical Support Engineers, working closely with them to understand their needs and implement the company's goals.
After six months, you’ll start to grow the team yourself and ensure that each of your team members is happy, successful, and outputting quality work that aligns with the needs of the company and their own interests.
- Proven experience in technical support or a similar role, with a minimum of 2 years of management experience.
- A passion for building relationships and being responsible for the welfare of the team you manage, including their professional development and growth. We're looking for managers that want to empower the team to achieve their professional and personal goals.
- Strong leadership and people management skills.
- Experience working on complex technical products and exposure to distributed systems, databases, and SQL.
- Been exposed to performance management. You understand the importance of building an effective team that can function independently, while collaborating and supporting each other.
- Partnered across departments, ensuring coordination with internal teams (e.g., Documentation, Marketing, Product, etc.).
- Excellent problem-solving and decision-making abilities
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to adapt to a dynamic work environment and handle high-pressure situations effectively.
Reporting to Nick Lamb - Director of Technical Support
With 14 years dedicated to supporting distributed databases, I bring a seasoned perspective to technology and customer satisfaction. Currently serving as the Director of Technical Support, I lead with a hands-on understanding of the challenges in our field. My commitment lies in bridging the gap between cutting-edge solutions and a seamless user experience. I want the team to not just manage systems and solve problems but navigate customers toward success, ensuring our technology not only functions but enhances the end-user journey.
Working closely with Rupert Harwood and Matthew Vardi
Rupert is a British expat living in Southern California with his wife and son. He is very passionate about customer support and adores well written documentation. He has spent the last 12 years working and specializing in distributed and cloud databases. When not working he spends time hanging out with his son Valentine, reading, and playing video games. Rupert likes to offset his sedentary indoor activities by hiking, inline skating, and riding his beach cruiser around the neighborhood.
For over 4 years, Matt has been a dedicated member of the team at Cockroach Labs, where he has honed his skills in creative problem-solving in a fast-growing environment. He holds a degree in computer science that has been instrumental in his professional growth. Matt’s technical expertise, coupled with his customer-centric approach, allows him to lead diverse teams effectively and foster a collaborative environment. Matt thrives in dynamic settings, can adapt to various cultures and is committed to providing outstanding customer experiences. Beyond his work, he has an interesting background that includes serving in the Israeli Defense Forces for 3 years. Now based in New York City, he enjoys exploring the city, discovering new restaurants, and indulging in video games.
- Competitive health insurance coverage (for you and your dependents!)
- Paid parental leave (with baby bucks)
- Flexible PTO