Senior Technical Content Marketer - New York, NY
Databases are the beating heart of every business in the world.
What you build and where it takes you should be unrestricted by the capabilities of your database. We created CockroachDB as the planet's most highly evolved, cloud-native, distributed SQL database. Making scale so simple you don't even have to think about it. Making data so resilient it becomes impossible to destroy. Making delivery so seamless, your apps run anywhere. Join us on our mission to build a different breed of database—one born in the cloud and built from the ground up to help companies of any size scale fast, survive disaster, and thrive everywhere.
About the Role
We are looking for a Senior Technical Content Marketing Manager to be responsible for producing and editing the highest-quality, engaging, shareable content that represents Cockroach Labs and CockroachDB. You will create technical white papers, reference architectures, blog posts (for Cockroach Labs and third-party blogs), videos, and more across multiple digital channels to attract, engage, and convert visitors, combining your unmatched storytelling skills with a passion for technology to generate attention for CockroachDB.
This role will blend your technical knowledge with your journalistic and creative skills. You will create content to engage users, prospects, and key influencers in the infrastructure industry. The ideal candidate is a prolific and talented technical content creator with a portfolio that showcases strong writing and video creation skills, a record of hitting deadlines, and a mind for how to create a digital conversation that will engage target audiences.
- Drive interest by creating technical content, including white papers, reference architectures, and blog posts.
- Provide thorough reviews to ensure content is error-free and aligned with brand guidelines.
- Collaborate across functions and silos to meet content marketing business objectives.
- Distribute content through appropriate channels to achieve goals.
- Optimize content to improve search engine ranking, visitation, and conversion rates.
- Assist with PR initiatives and product launches.
- Provide accurate and timely project reporting on content marketing activities.
- 5+ years of experience in content development, journalism, or other writing/editing.
- Experience or formal training in software development or technical writing
- Excitement about Cockroach Labs’ mission and an interest in database technology.
- Ability to work cooperatively with, and gain the respect of, software developers.
- Excellent writing skills.
- Ability to evaluate the structure of a piece and revise it to improve structure, flow, and clarity.
- Passion for writing and storytelling with a strong portfolio of writing samples — both long and short form.
- Ability to independently manage multiple projects, prioritize effectively, and meet deadlines.
- Up-to-date knowledge of SEO, SEM, and analytics best practices.
In your first 30 days, you will immerse yourself in our market and product, so you can gain proficiency in your communications. You will go through our onboarding program, as well as Cockroach University. We believe that it's important for you to take this first month to observe enablement and training programs currently in place to become familiar with our company, technology, and message.
During this time, you will build relationships with various teams at Cockroach Labs, including with engineers, field engineering, and product managers. You will work closely with go to market, product, and marketing to further grasp our current product, sales approach, and customers. As you gain confidence in the message and technology, you will be called upon to begin developing content pieces.
After 3 months, you will be fully integrated into the team. While you will continue to deepen your understanding of CockroachDB, you will be engaged in multiple writing projects, and setting and implementing priorities in coordination with the Content Director and the rest of the marketing team.
Reporting to Jessica Edwards, Director of Corporate Marketing
Jessica has been marketing for technical products and companies for the greater part of a decade, and worked with non-profits for years before moving into the tech space. She has a deep love of storytelling, education, knowledge-sharing, and community building. After 13 years in NYC, she recently moved to Portland, OR, and is still getting used to the rain.
- Competitive Health Insurance Coverage (for you & your dependents!)
- Paid Parental Leave (with baby bucks)
- Flexible PTO
- Learning & Development Budget
- Relocation Support (as applicable)
The annual anticipated base salary range for U.S. candidates for this role is USD $125,000 to $170,000, plus commission if a sales role. We set standard ranges for all U.S.-based roles based on function, level, and geographic location, benchmarked against similar stage growth companies. In order to be compliant with local legislation, as well as to provide greater transparency to candidates, we share salary ranges on all job postings regardless of desired hiring location. Actual salaries may vary and fall outside of this range depending on factors such as a candidate’s qualifications, geographic location, skills, experience, and competencies. In addition, we are often open to a wide variety of profiles, and recognize that the person we hire may be less experienced (or more senior) than this job description as posted. Salary is one component of the Cockroach Labs’ total rewards package, which includes stock options, health insurance, life and disability insurance, funds towards professional development resources, flexible PTO, paid holidays, and parental leave, to name a few! Salaries for candidates outside the U.S. will vary based on local compensation structures.