Infrastructure Engineer - Bangalore, India
Databases are the beating heart of every business in the world.
Cockroach Labs is the creator of CockroachDB, the most highly evolved cloud-native, distributed SQL database on the planet that scales fast, survives anything, and thrives everywhere. We created CockroachDB to unshackle teams from the constraints of their database. Join us on our mission to enable every developer to build world-changing applications!
About the role
Cockroach Labs is hiring a software engineer to support the internal tools and engineering infrastructure for the Education team. The Education team develops and maintains all CockroachDB technical documentation and self-paced courses delivered through Cockroach University.
The Education internal tools team maintains the software that technical writers use to develop, build, and deploy CockroachDB documentation. These include a number of custom tools and automations as well as our CI/CD, staging, and production environments. The work that this team does has a broad-reaching impact on the technical writers and curriculum developers who rely on these tools every day as well as other teams within the company who maintain code repos from which we automate documentation for APIs and other components of CockroachDB.
In the coming year, we are planning a number of innovative infrastructure and UI engineering projects to improve the docs writer experience and the user experience for docs users and learners taking courses on Cockroach University.
We’re looking for an experienced Software Engineer to develop and maintain the tools and infrastructure supporting all of the Education team’s work, from our build and publishing pipelines to third-party integrations for external functionality. You’ll work closely with technical writers and curriculum developers to understand the current tools, processes, and challenges, and scope solutions. Everything you work on will have a direct and measurable impact on Cockroach Labs’ business metrics and trajectory.
The ideal candidate will have broad experience in Unix, Git workflows, automation, cloud infrastructure, and continuous integration, and will enjoy working on a variety of different problems from project to project. You should also enjoy providing direct support and help to colleagues; a “customer service” mindset is crucial for this role!
- Understand the daily workflows of engineers and technical writers across the team and identify improvements to increase productivity and reduce friction.
- Manage and optimize the tools, infrastructure, and integrations for building and delivering our docs and training sites.
- Help manage our internal applications running on GCP and AWS.
- Collaborate with infrastructure engineers and web developers across the company for shared knowledge and best practices.
- Improve Netlify build times for public CRDB documentation and fix bugs in our Netlify deployment process
- Research and document how our auto-generated docs (e.g., the Cluster Settings and Function and Operators pages) work, while also formulating a solution for better maintaining them
- Automate common manual operational tasks for the docs team: publishing release notes and technical advisories, testing of sample code, generation of SQL command output
In the first month, you will become an integrated member of the Education team. You’ll become familiar with our systems and software development workflows. We believe that it's essential for you to also invest time during this first month to become familiar with our technology and our company. In addition to CockroachDB and CockroachDB Cloud, you’ll learn about our Education tools and workflows. For example, you’ll learn how we use GitHub, Jekyll, Algolia, and Netlify to build and publish our docs and you’ll talk with writers and curriculum developers about their day-to-day work and challenges. You’ll be given a small “starter project” to help you learn about a particular area.
After your first month, you’ll move from learning our tools and workflows to optimizing and maintaining them, with a focus on the parts that are most critical to the Education team’s immediate productivity and success.
By the end of the third month, you will be a fully-contributing member of the Education team, having successfully owned and completed a medium-sized project. You will also have developed ownership of our docs infrastructure and will be proposing and scoping projects moving forward.
Senior-level experience. At a minimum, this role requires:
- 6+ years of experience as a software engineer.
- 2+ years of hands-on experience with GCP or AWS.
- 3+ years of experience writing internal tools for team productivity
- Ability to quickly pick up new skills and emerging technologies.
- Experience with automation and scripting on Unix.
- Experience with git, GitHub, and release management.
- Exceptional communication skills with a customer service mindset and desire to collaborate.
- A BS in Computer Science or equivalent experience.
- 100% health insurance coverage (for you and your dependents!)
- Paid parental leave
- Flexible time off
Cockroach Labs is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer building a diverse and inclusive workforce. If you need additional accommodations to feel comfortable during your interview process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.