Mechanical Engineer - Insulation and Composites Engineer
Commonwealth Fusion Systems
Somerville, MA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2023
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) has the fastest, lowest cost path to commercial fusion energy.
CFS collaborates with MIT to leverage decades of research combined with groundbreaking new high-temperature superconducting (HTS) magnet technology. HTS magnets will enable compact fusion power plants that can be constructed faster and at lower cost. Our mission is to deploy these power plants to meet global decarbonization goals as fast as possible. To that end, CFS has assembled a team of leaders in tough tech, fusion science, and manufacturing with a track record of rapid execution. Supported by the world’s leading investors, CFS is uniquely positioned to deliver limitless, clean, fusion power to combat climate change. To implement this plan, we are looking to add dedicated people to the team who treat people well, improve our work by adding multifaceted perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have achieved outstanding results through a range of pursuits, and have skills and experience related to this role.
The R&D team at CFS specializes in identifying and investigating the most difficult aspects of the SPARC and ARC tokamaks in terms of electromagnetic and mechanical analysis, novelty of designs, and manufacturing feasibility. This role focuses on composite materials for insulation of superconducting cables and magnets. The work involves working within a multidisciplinary team of engineers to retire specific risks related to the design of insulated components for superconducting magnets in difficult environments (e.g. radiative, cryogenic, low-pressure, medium-high voltages, and large mechanical loads). Making and testing novel magnet insulation concepts is the main responsibility for this role, with the goal of producing a pachen-tight, high-voltage, removable insulation for magnet systems at large scales. This Insulation and Composites Engineer will be responsible for designing and executing experiments, as well as data analysis and reporting. Such an engineer is expected to have extensive experience making and testing composite materials, have a thorough understanding of the physics behind high-voltage testing, and have experience working with insulation for cryogenic environments. The position is expected to demonstrate adaptability, willingness to learn, and a desire to test novel concepts at the edge of their capabilities.
This team member will:
- Develop novel concepts and design risk-retirement experiments for insulation components
- Design and build test stands for insulated component testing
- Explore the use of innovative manufacturing techniques for insulation components
- High voltage testing of insulation and components
- Develop novel solutions to complex, integrated problems
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- Bachelor of Science in one of the following or related fields: Physics, Engineering or Materials
- 5+ years of experience in relevant fields of composites or magnet insulation
- Experience with design and manufacturing of composites materials
- Experience with high voltage testing
- High-voltage engineering
- Materials properties in cryogenic environments
- Vacuum systems
Additional preferred experience and/or qualifications:
- Experience with cryogenic testing
- Familiarity with magnet engineering
- Masters of Science in a related field
- Ability to occasionally lift up to 50 lbs
- Perform activities such as typing, stooping, standing, sitting for extended periods of time; may need to operate in small, confined places in odd locations
- Dedication to safety to mitigate industrial hazards that may include heat, cold, noise, fumes, strong magnets, lead (Pb), high voltage, and cryogenics
- Willingness to travel or work required nights/weekends/on-call occasionally
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.