Instrumentation and Control Engineer - Entry Level
Devens, MA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, November 29, 2022
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) has the fastest, lowest cost path to commercial fusion energy.
CFS collaborates with MIT to leverage decades of research combined with groundbreaking new high-temperature superconducting (HTS) magnet technology. HTS magnets will enable compact fusion power plants that can be constructed faster and at lower cost. Our mission is to deploy these power plants to meet global decarbonization goals as fast as possible. To that end, CFS has assembled a team of leaders in tough tech, fusion science, and manufacturing with a track record of rapid execution. Supported by the world’s leading investors, CFS is uniquely positioned to deliver limitless, clean, fusion power to combat climate change. To implement this plan, we are looking to add dedicated people to the team who treat people well, improve our work by adding multifaceted perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have achieved outstanding results through a range of pursuits, and have skills and experience related to this role.
CFS seeks a high performing engineer to develop control systems for SPARC. We are hiring junior engineers with zero to three years experience in electrical engineering, robotics, aerospace, marine, or similar fields.
You should have strong hands-on experience in hardware development, integration, or test for this role. The ideal candidate has delivered real products in internships, student clubs, research labs, or in your first job. Task assignments will be tailored to your experience and background.
This team member will:
- Support control system development for fluid systems, power systems, magnets, RF, and other plant and tokamak systems
- I & C rack/cabinet design, test, and delivery
- System cabling design
- Electronics development, test, and delivery
- Instrumentation selection and test
- System integration, test, and commissioning
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- B.S. in electrical, mechanical, aerospace, or similar field; or equivalent experience
- 0-3 years experience in engineering
- Strong self-starter, ability to learn quickly
- Willingness to work in a demanding yet exhilarating work environment
- Knowledge of electrical board design / Altium
- Knowledge of electrical test equipment – oscilloscopes, multimeters, power supplies
- Knowledge in scripting
Additional experience and/or qualifications:
- Ability to occasionally lift up to 50 lbs
- Perform activities such as stooping, climbing, typing, standing, sitting, etc. for extended periods of time
- Dedication to safety to mitigate hazards that may include heat, cold, strong magnets, vacuums, radiation, and noise
- Willingness to occasionally travel or work required nights/weekends/on-call
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.
See more open positions at Commonwealth Fusion
Something looks off?