R&D HTS Process and Test Engineer
Somerville, MA, USA
Posted on Thursday, May 18, 2023
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) has the fastest, lowest cost path to commercial fusion energy.
CFS collaborates with MIT to leverage decades of research combined with groundbreaking new high-temperature superconducting (HTS) magnet technology. HTS magnets will enable compact fusion power plants that can be constructed faster and at lower cost. Our mission is to deploy these power plants to meet global decarbonization goals as fast as possible. To that end, CFS has assembled a team of leaders in tough tech, fusion science, and manufacturing with a track record of rapid execution. Supported by the world’s leading investors, CFS is uniquely positioned to deliver limitless, clean, fusion power to combat climate change. To implement this plan, we are looking to add dedicated people to the team who treat people well, improve our work by adding multifaceted perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have achieved outstanding results through a range of pursuits, and have skills and experience related to this role.
This entry-level engineering role will involve a significant amount of hands-on testing work and test assembly in addition to data analysis. This individual will work closely with the R&D superconducting magnet team, and will be responsible for developing and executing experiments and procedures for non-routine electrical and mechanical tests of REBCO high temperature superconductor (HTS). Their primary responsibility will be to drive experiments from design to execution and data analysis, and to accumulate knowledge and skill in the testing and materials properties of REBCO. The ideal candidate would be interested in materials properties, with a desire to become an expert in HTS testing and to take on increasing responsibility and ownership over time.
This team member will:
- Design and execute research studies to improve HTS QA processes and/or gain higher quality data
- Assist in the assembly and testing of equipment for improved HTS testing
- Test and develop standard operating procedures for handoff to production team
- Analyze IV curve data from HTS tests -Set up tools and documentation
- Assist with collection, processing, and fulfillment of HTS data requests
- Create reports documenting analysis processes and R&D experimental results and conclusions
- Perform process and software upgrades and write analysis scripts as needed
- Perform literature review as needed
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- Bachelor's degree in engineering or science field required (or equivalent knowledge/experience); electrical engineering, materials engineering or physics degree preferred
- Experience in a lab setting is required, equivalent to 2 hands on internships or 1 year of work as a research assistant or lab technician
- Enough physics background to understand electromagnetic fundamentals is required
Additional preferred experience and/or qualifications:
- Experience handling and/or testing HTS
- Experience soldering small components
- Experience testing with cryogens and / or at high field
- Some experience with data analysis and data communication, with processing experience in python
- Perform activities such as typing, stooping, standing, or sitting for extended periods of time
- Dedication to safety to mitigate hazards that may include heat, cold, noise, fumes, strong magnets, high voltage, and cryogenics
- Willingness to travel or work required nights/weekends/on-call occasionally
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.
See more open positions at Commonwealth Fusion
Something looks off?