Systems Engineering Manager
Devens, MA, USA
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2023
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) has the fastest, lowest cost path to commercial fusion energy.
CFS collaborates with MIT to leverage decades of research combined with groundbreaking new high-temperature superconducting (HTS) magnet technology. HTS magnets will enable compact fusion power plants that can be constructed faster and at lower cost. Our mission is to deploy these power plants to meet global decarbonization goals as fast as possible. To that end, CFS has assembled a team of leaders in tough tech, fusion science, and manufacturing with a track record of rapid execution. Supported by the world’s leading investors, CFS is uniquely positioned to deliver limitless, clean, fusion power to combat climate change. To implement this plan, we are looking to add dedicated people to the team who treat people well, improve our work by adding multifaceted perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have achieved outstanding results through a range of pursuits, and have skills and experience related to this role.
CFS seeks an outstanding engineering leader for our Systems Engineering team. This role will lead SPARC through its integration and commissioning life cycle. This role will also prepare for ARC and other major company programs through lessons learned, continuous process improvement, and ARC architecture work and systems engineering.
The systems engineering manager will lead a high performing team of engineers in accomplishment of defining high level requirements, requirements decomposition, flow down, design, verification & validation, integration, interfaces, commissioning support, and operations support. Candidate will be responsible for coordinating subordinate employee work assignments, performance assessments, salary, recruitment, selection and training, and recognition/disciplinary actions.
The systems engineering team also owns core CFS engineering processes: key decision and design trades; change control; risk identification; requirements management; project lifecycle and design reviews; design guidance and specifications; technical budgets; and many other engineering program functions. This role will report directly to the ARC Chief Engineer with direct reports to this leader including the systems engineering team. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills are critical to excel in this role.
The ideal candidate for this role will have an expert understanding of system design and system engineering practices on projects at the scale of SPARC, a multi-hundred person and $1+ billion program spanning 5+ years of development and 10 years of operations. They will have led systems engineering teams, tackled the toughest design trades, seen projects from development through operations, and instituted system engineering practices and processes in a lightweight manner at a growing company.
This team member will:
- Hire, lead, and train the systems engineers at CFS
- Primary owner of many processes at the core of CFS engineering – configuration management, change control, risks, requirements management, design review execution
- Represent engineering recommendations and processes to senior leadership
- Work closely with the Chief of CFS Engineering (ARC Chief Engineer)
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- B.S. in engineering field, or equivalent experience
- 10+ years of experience in a relevant engineering discipline
- Experience as a lead or manager for a product or project or program
- Experience developing and deploying system engineering processes and tools (including continuous improvements to design review processes and execution)
- Experience working with design and/or development of a project in similar size and scope to SPARC
- Ability to understand and deploy strategies around risk mitigation
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office products including Excel
- Spreadsheet scheduling and Database applications;
- Leadership and team-building skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and analytical skills to include briefing peers, leadership
- Ability to lead and coach people with a focus on development & learning
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment with excellent communications/organizational skills and have the ability to analyze complex issues
- Experience owning and delivering hardware and software products
- Expertise in at least one discipline prior to coming to systems engineering – mechanical, electrical, I&C, fluids, integration/commissioning, operations
Additional preferred experience and/or qualifications:
- 10+ years experience in a systems engineering discipline
- Experience in the power industry and plant design and operation
- Experience in complex engineering projects and plant design
- Ability to occasionally lift up to 50 lbs
- Perform activities such as typing, standing, or sitting for extended periods of time
- Work in a facility that contains industrial hazards including heat, cold, noise, fumes, strong magnets, lead (Pb), high voltage, high current, pressure systems, and cryogenics
- Willingness to travel or work required nights/weekends/on-call occasionally
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.