Senior Instrumentation Design Engineer
Commonwealth Fusion Systems
Devens, MA, USA
Posted on Thursday, October 5, 2023
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) has the fastest, lowest cost path to commercial fusion energy.
CFS collaborates with MIT to leverage decades of research combined with groundbreaking new high-temperature superconducting (HTS) magnet technology. HTS magnets will enable compact fusion power plants that can be constructed faster and at lower cost. Our mission is to deploy these power plants to meet global decarbonization goals as fast as possible. To that end, CFS has assembled a team of leaders in tough tech, fusion science, and manufacturing with a track record of rapid execution. Supported by the world’s leading investors, CFS is uniquely positioned to deliver limitless, clean, fusion power to combat climate change. To implement this plan, we are looking to add dedicated people to the team who treat people well, improve our work by adding multifaceted perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have achieved outstanding results through a range of pursuits, and have skills and experience related to this role.
CFS seeks a high performing engineer to lead instrumentation design for SPARC. You will work as the responsible engineer for instrumenting superconducting magnets, high current coils, high current power supplies, cryogenic ducts, and other novel systems that run the SPARC tokamak.
Your responsibilities will include control system architecture, rack/cabinet design, cabling design, integration, test, and operation of your equipment. You will work closely with the responsible engineers for other SPARC systems, physicists, software team, and operations team. This is a dynamic role that prioritizes speed, ownership, and technical integrity.
This team member will:
- Design instrumentation that meets performance, environment, and material requirements
- Establish mechanical and electrical interface requirements for instrumentation harnessing
- Develop test plans for qualification, acceptance, and commissioning
- Hands-on electrical integration and test
- Troubleshooting, root cause, and rework/repair of issues encountered during integration
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- Bachelor's or Master’s degree in a relevant engineering or science field (e.g., physics, electrical, mechanical, etc.)
- 5+ years of experience of instrumentation development for industrial, aerospace, or physics applications
- In-depth knowledge of temperature, flow, and voltage instrumentation of cryogenic systems
- Hands-on proficiency with power supplies, multimeters, oscilloscopes, and other lab electrical equipment
- Altium or similar electrical board design tools
- EM analysis
- NX or similar mechanical design tools
Additional experience and/or qualifications:
- Experience with instrumentation development in high vacuum, cryogenic, neutron radiation, and/or high magnetic field environments
- Experience working on electromagnets, particle accelerators, tokamaks, or other fusion related facilities
- Scripting or engineering software development for test applications and data review – Python, Matlab, or equivalent
- Ability to occasionally lift up to 50 lbs
- Perform activities such as stooping, climbing, typing, standing, sitting, etc. for extended periods of time
- Dedication to safety to mitigate industrial hazards that may include heat, cold, noise, fumes, strong magnets, lead (Pb), high voltage, and cryogenics
- Willingness to occasionally travel or work required nights/weekends/on-call
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.