Engineering Manager, Orchestration
dbt Labs was founded in 2016 to empower analysts to create and disseminate organizational knowledge. Since then, we’ve grown to become one of the leading brands in the analytics industry. Our product, dbt, is used by thousands of companies. dbt Labs is a remote-first, values-driven company with a globally distributed team. You can learn more about our values here.
About the Orchestration Team:
The Orchestration team is responsible for the dbt Cloud CI/CD product offering. The team builds and maintains scheduled and CI user-defined workflows along with all the underlying software systems that power asynchronous task execution. The team is one of the original teams at dbt Labs. It has a large charter with 8-10 engineers that will be focused on core company initiatives in the upcoming year. Scaling and resiliency are top of mind as the user base grows and our number of runs get larger and larger.
In this role, you can expect to:
- Build, support, and lead a team of 8-10 highly talented and engaged engineers
- Coach and mentor engineers on the team to help them grow their skills and their careers
- Partner with the product team to execute the timely delivery of key business initiatives
- Hold 1:1s, quarterly and annual reviews with every member of the team
- Gather, compile and clearly communicate performance feedback to the team
- Actively participate in our recruiting process from sourcing to hiring
- Foster technical decision-making within the team, but also across teams
You are a good fit if you:
- Have 3+ years of hands-on technical management experience as an engineering manager
- Have collaborated tightly with a product manager before
- Have a demonstrated track record of growing engineers of all levels to the next level
- Have successfully partnered with other internal teams to coordinate large spanning initiatives
- Have experience as a senior IC software engineer in distributed cloud applications
- Are value-oriented, and you share our company values
- Are technical, and capable of having in-depth discussions with engineers about decisions they are making, especially around scaling and resiliency
- Have run multiple work streams within a team to balance work in progress and shipping customer value
You'll have an edge if you have:
- Used dbt in the past or have a background in analytics engineering
- Experience with CI/CD systems
- Experience with maturing Python/Django codebases
- Experience with Golang codebases
- Experience managing a distributed team of engineers, or working remotely
- Strong written communication skills
- Startup experience
Compensation and Benefits:
- Salary: $190,000 - $256,000
- Equity Stake*
- Benefits - dbt Labs offers:
- Unlimited vacation (and yes we use it!)
- 401k w/3% guaranteed contribution
- Excellent healthcare
- Paid Parental Leave
- Wellness stipend
- Home office stipend, and more!
*Equity or comparable benefits may be offered depending on the legal limitations
What to expect in the hiring process (all video interviews via Zoom unless accommodations are needed):
- Interview with a Talent Acquisition Partner
- Interview with the Director of Product Engineering
- Team interviews (1:1s) with Orchestration team members and other stakeholders
- A values interview with the VP of Engineering
Who we are
At dbt Labs, we have developed strong opinions on how companies should practice analytics.
Specifically, we believe that:
- Code, not graphical user interfaces, is the best abstraction to express complex analytic logic
- Data analysts should adopt similar practices and tools to software developers
- Critical analytics infrastructure should be controlled by its users as open source software
- Analytic code itself — not just analytics tools — will increasingly be open source
It turns out that a lot of other people believe this too! Today, there are 20,000 companies using dbt every week, 65,000 practitioners in the dbt Community Slack, and 3,500 companies paying for dbt Cloud. Our customers include JetBlue, Hubspot, Vodafone New Zealand, and Dunelm. dbt is synonymous with the practice of analytics engineering, defining an entire industry. We’re backed by top investors including Andreessen Horowitz, Sequoia Capital, and Altimeter. We recently raised our series D: read the announcement here!
dbt Labs is an equal opportunity employer. We're committed to building an inclusive team that welcomes a diversity of perspectives, people, and backgrounds regardless of race, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, disability, citizenship, veteran status, or any other protected status. We feel strongly that whether or not your experience exactly fits the job description, your passion and skills will stand out and set you apart even if your career has taken some twists and turns. If you are on the fence about whether you meet our requirements, we encourage you to apply anyway! Please reach out to us directly at email@example.com if you need assistance or an accommodation.
Want to learn more about our focus on Diversity, Equity and Inclusion at dbt Labs? Check out our DEI page here.
dbt Labs reserves the right to amend or withdraw the posting at any time. For employees outside the United States, dbt Labs offers a competitive benefits package. Equity or comparable benefits may be offered depending on the legal or country limitations.