Vice President, Legal
dbt Labs was founded in 2016 to empower analysts to create and disseminate organizational knowledge. Since then, we’ve grown to become one of the leading brands in the analytics industry. Our product, dbt, is used by thousands of companies. dbt Labs is a remote-first, values-driven company with a globally distributed team. You can learn more about our values here.
dbt Labs is seeking a VP Legal to lead our legal and compliance team. Reporting to the CFO, this role will be a key member of the senior leadership team and will shape and scale the function within our growing business. The VP will lead the team in providing day-to-day legal advice and overall guidance on various matters, including customer/vendor contracts, risk mitigation, data processing and security, and compliance. A key responsibility will be to mentor and scale the team to achieve business objectives and grow as professionals. The VP will establish the department’s strategy and oversee achieving key operational support such as customer transactions, while being a collaborative partner, both internally and externally to the organization. The ideal candidate for this role has proven experience in leading in-house legal teams to deliver on business objectives in a collaborative manner with other functions in the business and external stakeholders.
In this role, you can expect to:
- Reporting to the CFO, this role will be a key member of the senior leadership team and will shape and scale the function within our growing business. Will partner and collaborate with our board of directors as needed.
- The VP will lead the team in providing day-to-day legal advice and overall guidance on various matters, including customer/vendor contracts, risk mitigation, data processing and security, and compliance
- Assist with HR and other employment matters as they arise as well as advise on existing and new regulatory requirements in the employment context
- Play a key role in mergers and acquisitions (M&A) activities, leading legal due diligence, negotiating transaction agreements, and overseeing the legal aspects of the integration process.
- Advise on and support corporate governance, equity compensation, stock plan administration, and related matters
- Manage and build out a team of legal professionals
- Establish the legal department’s strategy and oversee achieving key operational support such as customer transactions, while being a collaborative partner, both internally and externally to the organization
- Proactively and strategically manage outside counsel and legal expenses
You are a good fit if you:
- 10+ years of large law firm and in-house legal department at a SaaS company
- J.D. degree from an accredited law school and admission in good standing to at least one state bar
- In-house experience with a growing SaaS company.
- Experience in a broad range of general corporate and commercial transactional work, including M&A
- Experience handling transactions involving equity investments, including IPOs and private financings, and familiarity with debt instruments and credit facilities
- Knowledge of employment law, including providing guidance on applicable policies and procedures, and effective engagement on employee relations matters
- Experience and interest in product, privacy, compliance and cybersecurity matters
- International business transaction and operations experience
- Working knowledge of scalable contract database solutions and focus on efficiency operations and scaling
- Ability to work effectively across functions and external parties to efficiently resolve complex business and risk management issues and to lead and contribute to cross functional projects and company wide initiatives
You'll have an edge if you:
- You have previous experience leading in an industry of developer tooling, data products, or open source software
Compensation & Benefits:
- Salary: Commensurate of experience
- Equity Stake: *
- Benefits: dbt Labs offers:
- Unlimited vacation (and yes we use it!)
- 401k w/3% guaranteed contribution
- Excellent healthcare
- Paid Parental Leave
- Wellness stipend
- Home office stipend, and more!
*Equity or comparable benefits may be offered depending on the legal limitations
What to expect in the hiring process (all video interviews unless accommodations are needed):
- Interview with a Talent Acquisition Partner
- Call with our CFO, Daniel Le
- Team Interviews with various members of our team (potentially partially in person)
- Final interview with our CEO, Tristan Handy
Who we are
At dbt Labs, we have developed strong opinions on how companies should practice analytics.
Specifically, we believe that:
- Code, not graphical user interfaces, is the best abstraction to express complex analytic logic
- Data analysts should adopt similar practices and tools to software developers
- Critical analytics infrastructure should be controlled by its users as open source software
- Analytic code itself — not just analytics tools — will increasingly be open source
It turns out that a lot of other people believe this too! Today, there are 20,000 companies using dbt every week, 65,000 practitioners in the dbt Community Slack, and 3,500 companies paying for dbt Cloud. Our customers include JetBlue, Hubspot, Vodafone New Zealand, and Dunelm. dbt is synonymous with the practice of analytics engineering, defining an entire industry. We’re backed by top investors including Andreessen Horowitz, Sequoia Capital, and Altimeter. We recently raised our series D: read the announcement here!
dbt Labs is an equal opportunity employer. We're committed to building an inclusive team that welcomes a diversity of perspectives, people, and backgrounds regardless of race, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, disability, citizenship, veteran status, or any other protected status. We feel strongly that whether or not your experience exactly fits the job description, your passion and skills will stand out and set you apart even if your career has taken some twists and turns. If you are on the fence about whether you meet our requirements, we encourage you to apply anyway! Please reach out to us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org if you need assistance or an accommodation.
Want to learn more about our focus on Diversity, Equity and Inclusion at dbt Labs? Check out our DEI page here.
dbt Labs reserves the right to amend or withdraw the posting at any time. For employees outside the United States, dbt Labs offers a competitive benefits package. Equity or comparable benefits may be offered depending on the legal or country limitations.