Senior Software Engineer II - Semantic Layer
dbt Labs was founded in 2016 to empower analysts to create and disseminate organizational knowledge. Since then, we’ve grown to become one of the leading brands in the analytics industry. Our product, dbt, is used by thousands of companies. dbt Labs is a remote-first, values-driven company with a globally distributed team. You can learn more about our values here.
About the Semantic Layer Team:
We are hiring a Senior Software Engineer to help build the Semantic Layer! The Semantic Layer team is redefining the modern data stack so that data-driven organizations have instant access to critical business metrics that are easily discoverable and consistently implemented across their entire organization, regardless of which analytics tool they use.
Joining this team, you’ll work with a group of subject matter experts with a shared vision for how organizations should consume their business metrics. In this role, you will build a distributed highly-available system that allows our customers to go beyond data modeling to proactively answer their most crucial business questions, from “What was our gross Revenue last quarter in the EU” to “Which of our medications can we afford to make available at a lower price?” You’ll build scaleable systems that ensure that our customers have reliable answers to questions like these and hundreds of others that are crucial to running their organization.
In this role, you can expect to:
- Serve as a technical leader on a team building an exciting new product
- Champion industry best practices to help scale the product and maintain a highly available data platform
- Build backend services in Kotlin and Python
- Collaborate closely with our customers and product managers to deeply understand and expand our opportunities to revolutionize the modern data stack
- Contribute to the public Metricflow project for defining business and querying metrics
- Have 7+ years experience as a software engineer OR
- Minimum requirement of Bachelors degree in related field (computer science, computer engineering, etc.) OR
- Completed enrollment in engineering related bootcamp
You are a good fit if you:
- Experience with cloud architectures, e.g. AWS, Azure, Google Cloud
- Experience with API development
- Experience scaling a new product from a prototype into a highly reliable platform
- Worked asynchronously as part of a fully-remote, distributed team
You'll have an edge if you:
- Experience with database/JDBC connectors
- Experience with Kubernetes
- Experience with data analytics or data engineering
- Experience as an Open Source contributor, especially if you have experience with Open Standards
Compensation and Benefits:
- Salary: $182,000-$234,000
- Equity Stake*
- Benefits - dbt Labs offers:
- Unlimited vacation (and yes we use it!)
- 401k w/3% guaranteed contribution
- Excellent healthcare
- Paid Parental Leave
- Wellness stipend
- Home office stipend, and more!
What to expect in the hiring process (all video interviews unless accommodations are needed):
- Interview with a Talent Acquisition Partner
- Technical Interview with Hiring Manager
- Team Interviews
- Final interview with leadership team member
Who we are
At dbt Labs, we have developed strong opinions on how companies should practice analytics.
Specifically, we believe that:
- Code, not graphical user interfaces, is the best abstraction to express complex analytic logic
- Data analysts should adopt similar practices and tools to software developers
- Critical analytics infrastructure should be controlled by its users as open source software
- Analytic code itself — not just analytics tools — will increasingly be open source
It turns out that a lot of other people believe this too! Today, there are 20,000 companies using dbt every week, 65,000 practitioners in the dbt Community Slack, and 3,500 companies paying for dbt Cloud. Our customers include JetBlue, Hubspot, Vodafone New Zealand, and Dunelm. dbt is synonymous with the practice of analytics engineering, defining an entire industry. We’re backed by top investors including Andreessen Horowitz, Sequoia Capital, and Altimeter. We recently raised our series D: read the announcement here!
dbt Labs is an equal opportunity employer. We're committed to building an inclusive team that welcomes a diversity of perspectives, people, and backgrounds regardless of race, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, disability, citizenship, veteran status, or any other protected status. We feel strongly that whether or not your experience exactly fits the job description, your passion and skills will stand out and set you apart even if your career has taken some twists and turns. If you are on the fence about whether you meet our requirements, we encourage you to apply anyway! Please reach out to us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org if you need assistance or an accommodation.
Want to learn more about our focus on Diversity, Equity and Inclusion at dbt Labs? Check out our DEI page here.
dbt Labs reserves the right to amend or withdraw the posting at any time. For employees outside the United States, dbt Labs offers a competitive benefits package. Equity or comparable benefits may be offered depending on the legal or country limitations.