Engineering Manager, dbt Explorer
dbt Labs was founded in 2016 to empower analysts to create and disseminate organizational knowledge. Since then, we’ve grown to become one of the leading brands in the analytics industry. Our product, dbt, is used by thousands of companies. dbt Labs is a remote-first, values-driven company with a globally distributed team. You can learn more about our values here.
Join dbt Labs as an Engineering Manager to guide and nurture the team building dbt Explorer.
About the team:
dbt Explorer allows users of dbt Cloud to understand and visualize the relationships between different elements of their dbt projects, and helps them improve their projects.
As an Engineering Manager for dbt Explorer, you will support and lead a team of 7 highly capable and motivated engineers in the continuous development of dbt Explorer. In addition to dbt Explorer, this team also is responsible for a significant part of the platform that powers dbt Cloud, and you will also help them support that platform.
- Lead and support 5-10 talented engineers, fostering their professional growth.
- Champion technical excellence and contribute to department-wide best practices.
- Conduct regular 1:1s, and performance reviews, ensuring team alignment and satisfaction.
- Thrive in a fast-paced, results-oriented environment.
- Collaborate with the product team to craft exceptional product experiences.
- Engage in our recruitment process, from sourcing to onboarding.
- Have 2+ years of hands-on technical management experience as an engineering manager.
- Has a proven track record of delivering high-quality products.
- Is iterative in approach, with a customer-centric mindset.
- Enjoys coding and can dive into technical details when needed.
- Has experience collaborating closely with product managers.
- Demonstrated success in developing engineers at all levels.
- Has experience with both product and platform engineering.
- Aligns with our core values.
Additional Qualifications (Preferred):
- Experience with dbt, Python/Django and Go, or analytics engineering.
- Expertise in managing distributed teams and remote work.
- Exceptional written communication skills.
- Background in startup environments or managing growth teams.
- Recognized for attracting and nurturing talent.
- Practices servant leadership.
Compensation & Benefits
- Salary: $190,000 - $256,000
- Equity Stake
- Benefits - dbt Labs offers:
- Unlimited vacation (and yes we use it!)
- 401k w/3% guaranteed contribution
- Excellent healthcare
- Paid Parental Leave
- Wellness stipend
- Home office stipend, and more!
What to expect in the hiring process (all video interviews via Zoom unless accommodations are needed):
- Interview with a Talent Acquisition Partner
- Interview with our Senior Director of Engineering
- Team interviews (1:1s) with team members and other stakeholders
Who we are
At dbt Labs, we have developed strong opinions on how companies should practice analytics.
Specifically, we believe that:
- Code, not graphical user interfaces, is the best abstraction to express complex analytic logic
- Data analysts should adopt similar practices and tools to software developers
- Critical analytics infrastructure should be controlled by its users as open source software
- Analytic code itself — not just analytics tools — will increasingly be open source
It turns out that a lot of other people believe this too! Today, there are 33,000 companies using dbt every week, 100,000 practitioners in the dbt Community, and 3,850 companies paying for dbt Cloud. Our customers include JetBlue, Hubspot, Vodafone New Zealand, and Dunelm. dbt is synonymous with the practice of analytics engineering, defining an entire industry. We’re backed by top investors including Andreessen Horowitz, Sequoia Capital, and Altimeter.
dbt Labs is an equal opportunity employer. We're committed to building an inclusive team that welcomes a diversity of perspectives, people, and backgrounds regardless of race, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, disability, citizenship, veteran status, or any other protected status. We feel strongly that whether or not your experience exactly fits the job description, your passion and skills will stand out and set you apart even if your career has taken some twists and turns. If you are on the fence about whether you meet our requirements, we encourage you to apply anyway! Please reach out to us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org if you need assistance or an accommodation.
Want to learn more about our focus on Diversity, Equity and Inclusion at dbt Labs? Check out our DEI page here.
dbt Labs reserves the right to amend or withdraw the posting at any time. For employees outside the United States, dbt Labs offers a competitive benefits package. Equity or comparable benefits may be offered depending on the legal or country limitations.