Senior Software Engineer, Customer Identity
dbt Labs was founded in 2016 to empower analysts to create and disseminate organizational knowledge. Since then, we’ve grown to become one of the leading brands in the analytics industry. Our product, dbt, is used by thousands of companies. dbt Labs is a remote-first, values-driven company with a globally distributed team. You can learn more about our values here.
About the Customer Identity Team:
The customer identity & product security team has an exciting roadmap for the coming year - spanning end-user authentication and SSO, role-based access control, and the dbt Cloud security admin experience. These security and enterprise experiences are among the top priorities for the company as we continue to build momentum and growth in selling dbt Cloud to the largest organizations.
This person will work with stakeholders like security, product management, QA, and customer support as our team takes on these big cross-functional projects. They will have an opportunity to flex into a security mindset while bringing their software architecture and programming skills to build reliable, secure systems for our dbt cloud SaaS product. They will be primarily working on the Django monolith and a couple of Go micro-services. There will also be an opportunity to mentor and guide other junior engineers across engineering and espousing for platform-focused security.
In this role, you can expect to:
- Work on enhancing the enterprise-grade authentication and authorization platform that enables Single Sign-On, Role Based Access Control and User and Token management.
- Building new products that bring dbt Cloud closer to security admins and unlock new revenue streams for our business.
- Design and develop reliable, secure, highly available and delightful experiences for both customer personas: the dbt Cloud admin and the end user.
- Collaborate with Product Management, UX designers, Security, and Customer Support.
- Work with a variety of programming languages, systems, and technologies, including: Python, Go, Typescript, Postgres, Kubernetes, AWS, Terraform and Datadog.
- Have 5+ years experience as a software engineer
- Minimum requirement of Bachelors degree in related field (computer science, computer engineering, etc.) OR
- Completed enrollment in engineering related bootcamp
You are a good fit if you:
- Have strong fundamentals in object-oriented programming.
- Have designed and built API-driven applications using REST and/or gRPC and OAuth for API endpoints.
- Are able to balance speed of delivery with designing scalable, reusable components.
- Are passionate about design and code reviews that help grow the team.
- Are highly motivated and able to work autonomously.
- Are ready to go outside of the team’s realm when there are infrastructure-related dependencies and collaborate with other teams to aid the delivery of team features.
- Ensure high programming standards by writing unit, functional, and integration tests.
- Have a systematic problem-solving approach coupled with strong communication skills and a sense of ownership and drive.
You'll have an edge if you:
- Have worked with authentication protocols like SAML and OIDC and authorization protocols like OAuth and authorization products like Zanzibar, OpenFGA etc.
- Have an interest in application-level product security.
- Have built reliable, mission-critical software for external customers.
- Have designed and implemented scalable architecture patterns.
- Have experience with Datadog or other log monitoring services and working with it to debug production issues.
- Have experience working on a distributed team.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Salary: $154,000-$200,000
- Equity Stake*
- Benefits - dbt Labs offers:
- Unlimited vacation (and yes we use it!)
- 401k w/3% guaranteed contribution
- Excellent healthcare
- Paid Parental Leave
- Wellness stipend
- Home office stipend, and more!
What to expect in the hiring process (all video interviews unless accommodations are needed):
- Interview with a Talent Acquisition Partner
- Technical Interview with Hiring Manager
- Team Interviews
- Final interview with leadership team member
Who we are
At dbt Labs, we have developed strong opinions on how companies should practice analytics.
Specifically, we believe that:
- Code, not graphical user interfaces, is the best abstraction to express complex analytic logic
- Data analysts should adopt similar practices and tools to software developers
- Critical analytics infrastructure should be controlled by its users as open source software
- Analytic code itself — not just analytics tools — will increasingly be open source
It turns out that a lot of other people believe this too! Today, there are 33,000 companies using dbt every week, 100,000 practitioners in the dbt Community, and 3,850 companies paying for dbt Cloud. Our customers include JetBlue, Hubspot, Vodafone New Zealand, and Dunelm. dbt is synonymous with the practice of analytics engineering, defining an entire industry. We’re backed by top investors including Andreessen Horowitz, Sequoia Capital, and Altimeter.
dbt Labs is an equal opportunity employer. We're committed to building an inclusive team that welcomes a diversity of perspectives, people, and backgrounds regardless of race, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, disability, citizenship, veteran status, or any other protected status. We feel strongly that whether or not your experience exactly fits the job description, your passion and skills will stand out and set you apart even if your career has taken some twists and turns. If you are on the fence about whether you meet our requirements, we encourage you to apply anyway! Please reach out to us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org if you need assistance or an accommodation.
Want to learn more about our focus on Diversity, Equity and Inclusion at dbt Labs? Check out our DEI page here.
dbt Labs reserves the right to amend or withdraw the posting at any time. For employees outside the United States, dbt Labs offers a competitive benefits package. Equity or comparable benefits may be offered depending on the legal or country limitations.