Engineering Manager, Site Reliability
About the team:
Our current Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) team is a high-impact unit of 5 engineers focused on the critical areas of observability and incident management. As we continue to scale and evolve our platform, the team is poised for growth and will progressively adopt a broader array of modern SRE practices. The team's mission extends beyond today's focus; it is about laying the foundation for a scalable, resilient infrastructure that can incorporate emerging technologies and methodologies.
- Lead and expand a team of SRE engineers currently focused on observability and incident management while preparing to adopt additional SRE practices.
- Cultivate the team's skills and expertise, preparing them for the integration of new SRE methods and tools.
- Collaborate with product and engineering leadership to define the roadmap for the team's growth and the evolution of its responsibilities.
- Maintain and foster a learning environment that is open to innovation and continuous improvement.
- Oversee the development and implementation of observability and incident management tools, ensuring they serve as a foundation for future advancements.
- Balance short-term objectives with long-term goals, aligning the team's work with the company's strategic direction.
You are a good fit if you:
- Have 3+ years of hands-on technical management experience as an engineering manager
- Have collaborated tightly with a product manager before
- Have a demonstrated track record of growing engineers of all levels to the next level
- Have successfully partnered with other internal teams to coordinate large spanning initiatives
- Are technical, and capable of having in-depth discussions with engineers about decisions they are making, especially around scaling, observability, and resiliency.
- Have run multiple work streams within a team to balance work in progress and shipping customer value.
- Are values-oriented, and you share our company values
You'll have an edge if you:
- Have used dbt in the past or have a background in analytics engineering
- You have been part of a growing SRE function and have firsthand experience with the evolution from growth to full-fledged SRE practices.
- You're enthusiastic about emerging technologies and SRE innovations and have ideas on how to integrate them into a growing team.
- Have experience managing a distributed team of engineers, or working remotely
- Have strong written communication skills
- Have startup experience
Compensation & Benefits
- Salary: $182,000 - $246,000
- Equity Stake
- Benefits - dbt Labs offers:
- Unlimited vacation (and yes we use it!)
- 401k w/3% guaranteed contribution
- Excellent healthcare
- Paid Parental Leave
- Wellness stipend
- Home office stipend, and more!
What to expect in the hiring process (all video interviews via Zoom unless accommodations are needed):
- Interview with a Talent Acquisition Partner
- Interview with the Director of Engineering, Infrastructure
- Team Interviews (1:1s) with Infrastructure team members and other stakeholders
- A values interview with the VP of Engineering
Who we are
At dbt Labs, we have developed strong opinions on how companies should practice analytics.
Specifically, we believe that:
- Code, not graphical user interfaces, is the best abstraction to express complex analytic logic
- Data analysts should adopt similar practices and tools to software developers
- Critical analytics infrastructure should be controlled by its users as open source software
- Analytic code itself — not just analytics tools — will increasingly be open source
It turns out that a lot of other people believe this too! Today, there are 33,000 companies using dbt every week, 100,000 practitioners in the dbt Community, and 3,850 companies paying for dbt Cloud. Our customers include JetBlue, Hubspot, Vodafone New Zealand, and Dunelm. dbt is synonymous with the practice of analytics engineering, defining an entire industry. We’re backed by top investors including Andreessen Horowitz, Sequoia Capital, and Altimeter.
dbt Labs is an equal opportunity employer. We're committed to building an inclusive team that welcomes a diversity of perspectives, people, and backgrounds regardless of race, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, disability, citizenship, veteran status, or any other protected status. We feel strongly that whether or not your experience exactly fits the job description, your passion and skills will stand out and set you apart even if your career has taken some twists and turns. If you are on the fence about whether you meet our requirements, we encourage you to apply anyway! Please reach out to us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org if you need assistance or an accommodation.
Want to learn more about our focus on Diversity, Equity and Inclusion at dbt Labs? Check out our DEI page here.
dbt Labs reserves the right to amend or withdraw the posting at any time. For employees outside the United States, dbt Labs offers a competitive benefits package. Equity or comparable benefits may be offered depending on the legal or country limitations.