Software Engineer - Voice & Video Infrastructure
Join us to work on our Voice & Video infrastructure! Our team's mission is to deliver a reliable low latency voice and video service for our users, no matter where they are. Practically speaking, it means we design and operate the core systems that our 150M users use to chat live with their friends on Discord. As a Software Engineer in the Voice & Video Infrastructure team you will report to the manager of the Serving Infrastructure group.
- Build and operate large-scale backend systems.
- Work with product teams to create new features.
- Ensure that our systems are reliable and that Discord just works.
- Write code but also manage our infrastructure.
- Work with an accomplished team of engineers who have built one of the largest Voice & Video platforms in the world.
You should have
- 3+ years of experience working with backend systems.
- Experience with large distributed systems.
- You excel in undefined environments and get excited about finding solutions to complex technical challenges
- You understand the basics of observability and monitoring.
- Experience with Elixir, C++ or Rust.
- Experience building Audio/Video technology
- Knowledge of DevOps tools like Salt, Terraform or Kubernetes.
- You have built or contributed to open source projects.
The US base salary range for this full-time position is $165,000 to $178,000 + equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role and level. Within the range, individual pay is determined by additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Please note that the compensation details listed in US role postings reflect the base salary only, and do not include equity, or benefits.
Benefits and Perks
- Comprehensive medical insurance including Health, Dental and Vision (plus up to $20,000 for gender affirmation procedures)
- Mental health resources and quarterly wellness stipends
- 16+ paid holidays, 4 weeks of PTO + use-what-you-need sick days
- Paid parental leave (plus fertility, adoption and other family planning benefits)
- Flexible long-term work options (remote and hybrid)
- Volunteer time off
- A diverse slate of Employee Resource Groups
- Plus commuter contributions and other perks for office-based employees
Discord is a voice, video and text app that helps friends and communities come together to hang out and explore their interests — from artists and activists, to study groups, sneakerheads, plant parents, and more. With 150 million monthly users across 19 million active communities, called servers, Discord has grown to become one of the most popular communications services in the world. Discord was built without selling ads or user data and instead, offers a premium subscription called Nitro that gives users special perks like higher quality streams and fun customizations.
We’re working toward an inclusive world where no one feels like an outsider, where genuine human connection is a click, text chat, or voice call away. A place where everyone can find belonging. Challenging? Heck yes. Rewarding? Double heck yes. It’s a mission that gives us the chance to positively impact millions of people all over the world. So if this strikes a chord with you, come build belonging with us!
Something looks off?