Security Engineer, Platform Security
Discord is about giving people the power to create space for belonging in their lives. Security and privacy are necessary to build user trust and to keep our users’ communications out of the hands of evildoers.
We are looking for a Security Engineer reporting to the Platform Security Engineering Manager to join our team in safeguarding the foundation upon which Discord is built. If you are a software engineer with experience in security or privacy, a deep sense of curiosity, and the desire to improve Discord, read on.
What you'll do:
- Secure our software supply chain all the way from a developer’s laptop, through version control, CI/CD, and into production
- Build tooling and services to achieve security ends, then operate those services in production
- Like: deploying tooling to ensure secrets are never in code, and are easily deployed anywhere in our heterogeneous infrastructure
- Work with our Detection and Response team to ensure that we’re adequately monitoring the security of the systems that Discord builds
- Improve and extend internal apps to better improve the security of Discord… for Discord
- Develop secure baselines for cloud and bare-metal resources
You'll Excel In This Role If:
- You have experience building and securing production systems and infrastructure for 2+ years
- You have experience programming in at least one general purpose programming language for 2+ years (we use Python and Rust, but your experience with other languages is great, too)
- You have experience building images for deploying code (e.g. Docker images)
- You have experience working in production cloud environments (we use GCP, but any is great)
- Experience working in the security field
- Experience with container orchestration technologies (e.g. Kubernetes)
- Experience with or an understanding of modern authentication and authorization protocols and concepts (OAuth 2.0, OIDC, WebAuthn/FIDO2, Zero Trust, mTLS)
- Experience operating production services (e.g. SRE experience)
- Experience building complex services on top of Google Cloud Platform
The US base salary range for this full-time position is $165,000 to $178,000 + equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role and level. Within the range, individual pay is determined by additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Please note that the compensation details listed in US role postings reflect the base salary only, and do not include equity, or benefits.
Benefits and Perks
- Comprehensive medical insurance including Health, Dental and Vision (plus up to $20,000 for gender affirmation procedures)
- Mental health resources and quarterly wellness stipends
- 16+ paid holidays, 4 weeks of PTO + use-what-you-need sick days
- Paid parental leave (plus fertility, adoption and other family planning benefits)
- Flexible long-term work options (remote and hybrid)
- Volunteer time off
- A diverse slate of Employee Resource Groups
- Plus commuter contributions and other perks for office-based employees
Discord is a voice, video and text app that helps friends and communities come together to hang out and explore their interests — from artists and activists, to study groups, sneakerheads, plant parents, and more. With 150 million monthly users across 19 million active communities, called servers, Discord has grown to become one of the most popular communications services in the world. Discord was built without selling ads or user data and instead, offers a premium subscription called Nitro that gives users special perks like higher quality streams and fun customizations.
We’re working toward an inclusive world where no one feels like an outsider, where genuine human connection is a click, text chat, or voice call away. A place where everyone can find belonging. Challenging? Heck yes. Rewarding? Double heck yes. It’s a mission that gives us the chance to positively impact millions of people all over the world. So if this strikes a chord with you, come build belonging with us!
Something looks off?