Senior Engineering Manager - AI
At Discord, we believe everyone can find a place where they belong. Our mission is to help make it easy for everyone to find and join meaningful conversations and to make every part of our product feel smart and delightful. We use Machine Learning across Discord to unlock new possibilities within areas such as user engagement, revenue growth and trust and safety.
We're looking for a technical, creative and hands-on Senior Engineering Manager to leverage ML and AI across our platform. If that sounds exciting to you, read on!
What you'll be doing
- Build and iterate on new ML-driven products to foster creativity, discovery and engagement on Discord
- Use your technical expertise to build robust, high-scale machine learning systems that power product features used by millions of users every day
- Build and lead a team of highly-engaged engineers by hiring, coaching, and instilling a sense of ownership and mission
- Mentor and guide the careers of the engineers through coaching and finding opportunities that support their technical skillset and goals
- Work with Product and Policy teams to create ML-driven systems that adhere to our core values
- Work with other Engineering Managers to improve the Engineering organization and uphold our workplace philosophy
What you should have
- You have 5+ years of experience as a Machine Learning Engineer or Applied Scientist
- You have 3+ years of experience as a technical people manager
- You have extensive experience leading complex technical projects with successful outcomes. You can take a high-level goal and achieve a shippable solution
- You've worked with complex distributed machine learning systems deployed at scale and have built end-to-end machine learning solutions
- You are thoughtful about the impact of AI technology and committed to AI safety
- You’re passionate about applications driven by user feedback and end user experiences
- You have a strong product sense and take pride in understanding your customers
- You have strong communication skills and the ability to work well cross-functionally
- You are motivated to help your team members succeed and have experience developing engineers of multiple levels.
- You keep up with the industry trends and identify new techniques to solve technical problem
The US base salary range for this full-time position is $276,000 to $300,000 + equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role and level. Within the range, individual pay is determined by additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Please note that the compensation details listed in US role postings reflect the base salary only, and do not include equity, or benefits.
#buildbelonging #LI-WK1 #LI-Hybrid
Benefits and Perks
- Comprehensive medical insurance including Health, Dental and Vision (plus up to $20,000 for gender affirmation procedures)
- Mental health resources and quarterly wellness stipends
- 16+ paid holidays, 4 weeks of PTO + use-what-you-need sick days
- Paid parental leave (plus fertility, adoption and other family planning benefits)
- Flexible long-term work options (remote and hybrid)
- Volunteer time off
- A diverse slate of Employee Resource Groups
- Plus commuter contributions and other perks for office-based employees
Discord is a voice, video and text app that helps friends and communities come together to hang out and explore their interests — from artists and activists, to study groups, sneakerheads, plant parents, and more. With 150 million monthly users across 19 million active communities, called servers, Discord has grown to become one of the most popular communications services in the world. Discord was built without selling ads or user data and instead, offers a premium subscription called Nitro that gives users special perks like higher quality streams and fun customizations.
We’re working toward an inclusive world where no one feels like an outsider, where genuine human connection is a click, text chat, or voice call away. A place where everyone can find belonging. Challenging? Heck yes. Rewarding? Double heck yes. It’s a mission that gives us the chance to positively impact millions of people all over the world. So if this strikes a chord with you, come build belonging with us!
Something looks off?