Senior Software Engineer, Audio/Video Products
Join our journey to create the best cross-platform application for messaging and real-time interactions! The Audio & Video Products team in Core Technology department at Discord owns the technology and end-to-end experience of our audio/video features across desktop, mobile, and console platforms. The team’s mission is to give our users an outstanding voice, video, and client experience.
We are looking for passionate, energetic and self-motived individuals, who are user-focused and obsessed with quality and performance to join AV Products team.
What you'll be doing:
- Develop core libraries and infrastructure supporting high-quality, low-latency communications between hundreds of millions of users.
- Build creative, delightful new audio/video functionalities
- Continuously improve audio/video quality and performance end to end.
- Own end-user audio/video issues and fearlessly deep dive to root cause them
- While owning Windows specific media component, work across all platforms (Windows/MacOS/Linux/Android/iOS) as needed.
What you should have:
- 4+ years experience working on large, cross-platform software projects.
- Comfortable writing high-performance code in C++ or Rust.
- Working experience with Windows multimedia programming or game development.
- Knowledge of performance metrics such as CPU, GPU and memory management.
- You enjoy coming up with pragmatic solutions to concrete problems using first principles thinking.
- You are obsessed with user impact and pursue craftsmanship with a high quality of work.
- You have strong communication skills and thrive in small, collaborative, energetic teams.
- Experience working with common audio/video codecs and understanding on the performance differences.
- Cross-platform development experience across Windows, MacOS, Android, iOS or game console.
- Working experience with WebRTC and VOIP.
The US base salary range for this full-time position is $190,000 to $218,000 + equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role and level. Within the range, individual pay is determined by additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Please note that the compensation details listed in US role postings reflect the base salary only, and do not include equity, or benefits.
Benefits and Perks
- Comprehensive medical insurance including Health, Dental and Vision (plus up to $20,000 for gender affirmation procedures)
- Mental health resources and quarterly wellness stipends
- 16+ paid holidays, 4 weeks of PTO + use-what-you-need sick days
- Paid parental leave (plus fertility, adoption and other family planning benefits)
- Flexible long-term work options (remote and hybrid)
- Volunteer time off
- A diverse slate of Employee Resource Groups
- Plus commuter contributions and other perks for office-based employees
Discord is a voice, video and text app that helps friends and communities come together to hang out and explore their interests — from artists and activists, to study groups, sneakerheads, plant parents, and more. With 150 million monthly users across 19 million active communities, called servers, Discord has grown to become one of the most popular communications services in the world. Discord was built without selling ads or user data and instead, offers a premium subscription called Nitro that gives users special perks like higher quality streams and fun customizations.
We’re working toward an inclusive world where no one feels like an outsider, where genuine human connection is a click, text chat, or voice call away. A place where everyone can find belonging. Challenging? Heck yes. Rewarding? Double heck yes. It’s a mission that gives us the chance to positively impact millions of people all over the world. So if this strikes a chord with you, come build belonging with us!
Something looks off?