Senior Privacy Engineer
Discord is on a mission to create space for everyone to find belonging. Trusted by millions of people to keep their communications private and out of the hands of evildoers, Security and Privacy are necessary to Discord's success.
We're looking for a Privacy Engineer reporting to the Head of Security and Privacy Engineering to join us in protecting Discord's users. If you are a software engineer with a passion for privacy, a deep sense of curiosity, and an endless desire to improve Discord for our users, read on!
What you will do:
- Build and support the technical environment that allows us to deliver privacy-centric solutions to our users and internal stakeholders.
- Lead development of new privacy features, tools, and scalable solutions to optimize the work of the Privacy Engineering team.
- Partner with cross-functional teams, including Engineering, Product, Data, and Legal to ensure compliance with Discord’s Privacy Principles and regulatory requirements.
- Advocate for privacy-preserving solutions and identify new opportunities to promote our privacy posture.
- Establish a clear vision and roadmap for privacy technology at Discord that is aligned with and supports the efforts and goals of Discord’s cross-functional Privacy organization.
- Lead Privacy incident response efforts, including mitigating situations that may pose a risk to our Privacy Principles, and providing assistance in incident response efforts outside of the privacy domain.
What you have:
- A passion for user privacy and data protection.
- 3+ years of work experience in Privacy or Security engineering.
- 3+ years of experience in at least one general purpose programming language (e.g. Python, Rust, Go).
- 3+ years of experience working in cloud-based environments (we use Google Cloud).
- Experience with concepts and practices such as threat modeling, data anonymization and classification, and auditing access to data.
- Familiarity with privacy concerns that apply in an industry setting, including consent, deletion, and retention, and a basic understanding of regulations such as GDPR or CCPA.
- Experience reviewing system designs and product feature specs for deviations from privacy policies and suboptimal privacy choices
- Experience with container orchestration systems (e.g. Kubernetes).
- Experience developing, operating, and debugging distributed systems.
The US base salary range for this full-time position is $190,000 to $218,000 + equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role and level. Within the range, individual pay is determined by additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Please note that the compensation details listed in US role postings reflect the base salary only, and do not include equity, or benefits.
Benefits and Perks
- Comprehensive medical insurance including Health, Dental and Vision (plus up to $20,000 for gender affirmation procedures)
- Mental health resources and quarterly wellness stipends
- 16+ paid holidays, 4 weeks of PTO + use-what-you-need sick days
- Paid parental leave (plus fertility, adoption and other family planning benefits)
- Flexible long-term work options (remote and hybrid)
- Volunteer time off
- A diverse slate of Employee Resource Groups
- Plus commuter contributions and other perks for office-based employees
Discord is a voice, video and text app that helps friends and communities come together to hang out and explore their interests — from artists and activists, to study groups, sneakerheads, plant parents, and more. With 150 million monthly users across 19 million active communities, called servers, Discord has grown to become one of the most popular communications services in the world. Discord was built without selling ads or user data and instead, offers a premium subscription called Nitro that gives users special perks like higher quality streams and fun customizations.
We’re working toward an inclusive world where no one feels like an outsider, where genuine human connection is a click, text chat, or voice call away. A place where everyone can find belonging. Challenging? Heck yes. Rewarding? Double heck yes. It’s a mission that gives us the chance to positively impact millions of people all over the world. So if this strikes a chord with you, come build belonging with us!
Something looks off?