Staff Software Engineer, Apps User Experience
The Apps User Experience team empowers external developers to build creative and diverse experiences for our users. Millions of people use apps & bots on Discord every day to manage communities, play games with friends, listen to music, and so much more.
Apps play a huge part in Discord's mission of creating a new kind of place where it’s easy to genuinely communicate, have fun hanging out, and build relationships. We believe developers are the future of Discord and have exciting plans for the next year.
Join us and help build the future of our platform!
What you'll be doing
- Build & ship high-quality experiences for our users, working directly with design and product teams to define the right solutions.
- Approach our app ecosystem holistically, thinking about developers as well as end users.
- Use your technical expertise to lead and ensure your team delivers extraordinary results at a high technical level.
- Collaborate with other staff engineers and partners across the organization to ensure technical understanding to other systems, products, and vision.
- Act as a problem-solver, not just a developer. Participate at all levels of ideation, implementation and release.
- Mentor & help grow engineers on your team.
What you should have
- 7+ years full-stack experience. We're a multi-platform team, so it's important to understand the development frameworks and fundamentals of our web platform (React, TypeScript) and backend (Python and a little bit of Rust).
- Mobile experience on Android and iOS (React Native)
- Attention to detail and an eye for visuals. Design skills are not required but you will critique and modify existing designs, and help set the bar.
- Led large projects from inception to launch.
- A growth mindset. You view mistakes as learning opportunities and build upon your successes. You challenge yourself and those around you to improve
- A focus on impact. You have a thoughtful eye for what changes can bring a product from good to great. You collaborate with product managers, designers, analysts, and other engineers to define great solutions to business problems
- A sense of ownership. You believe in solving a problem completely rather than simply shipping a solution. You can operate autonomously.
- Experience using and/or building apps for Discord
- A portfolio of high quality projects you've shipped
- Experience making tradeoffs between important goals to get the right things built quickly
The US base salary range for this full-time position is $214,000 to $233,000 + equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role and level. Within the range, individual pay is determined by additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Please note that the compensation details listed in US role postings reflect the base salary only, and do not include equity, or benefits.
Benefits and Perks
- Comprehensive medical insurance including Health, Dental and Vision (plus up to $20,000 for gender affirmation procedures)
- Mental health resources and quarterly wellness stipends
- 16+ paid holidays, 4 weeks of PTO + use-what-you-need sick days
- Paid parental leave (plus fertility, adoption and other family planning benefits)
- Flexible long-term work options (remote and hybrid)
- Volunteer time off
- A diverse slate of Employee Resource Groups
- Plus commuter contributions and other perks for office-based employees
Discord is a voice, video and text app that helps friends and communities come together to hang out and explore their interests — from artists and activists, to study groups, sneakerheads, plant parents, and more. With 150 million monthly users across 19 million active communities, called servers, Discord has grown to become one of the most popular communications services in the world. Discord was built without selling ads or user data and instead, offers a premium subscription called Nitro that gives users special perks like higher quality streams and fun customizations.
We’re working toward an inclusive world where no one feels like an outsider, where genuine human connection is a click, text chat, or voice call away. A place where everyone can find belonging. Challenging? Heck yes. Rewarding? Double heck yes. It’s a mission that gives us the chance to positively impact millions of people all over the world. So if this strikes a chord with you, come build belonging with us!