Data Science Intern, Causal Inference
The Summer Internship
At Discord, we offer a personalized experience for interns, and our aim is to offer an experience that mimics what it is like to actually work here. We match qualified interns with projects and groups, based on interests and skill sets, and fully embed them within those groups for the summer.
Internships are paid and are staffed for (at minimum) 12 weeks, targeting a start date in June 2024 to accommodate varying school calendars. Conditions permitting, our 2024 summer internships will be remote, with an opportunity to spend a week in the office at some point during the program.
At Discord, the Machine Learning and Causal Inference Data Science team informs product strategies, improves decision-making and creates value for customers using advanced Machine Learning and Causal Inference techniques. We partner directly with key product areas across Discord. These include user experience, safety, revenue, ecosystem and marketing.
What You'll Be Doing
- Apply state-of-the-art causal inference techniques to provide a deeper understanding of users and the product.
- Apply rigorous mathematical, statistical, algorithmic foundations and creative solutions to solve challenging problems
- Collaborate with other data science, product, engineering, and business teams to make sure the developed causal inference solutions achieve high leverage and drive impact.
You'll Thrive In This Role If...
- Currently pursuing a MS/PhD in Statistics, Economics, Computer Science or related technical field
- Experience with at least one of the following CI areas:
- Experimentation (A/B testing) at a large-scale tech company.
- Implementing and analyzing quasi-experimental methods.
- Using non-experimental, observational methods (e.g. difference in difference, propensity score matching, regression discontinuity).
- Applying cutting edge causal inference ML methods (e.g. Causal Forests, causal knn).
- Experience writing or shipping code-based CI models/solutions as part of coursework, personal projects, internships, competitions or research.
- Proficient programming in Python and SQL.
Salary of $77/hour (Master's) and $90/hour (PhD)*Note: Disclosure as required by NYC Pay Transparency Law and CO Disclosure as required by sb19-085(8-5-20)
Benefits listed below may differ from those available depending on terms of employment*
Benefits and Perks
- Comprehensive medical insurance including Health, Dental and Vision (plus up to $20,000 for gender affirmation procedures)
- Mental health resources and quarterly wellness stipends
- 14+ paid holidays, 4 weeks of PTO + use-what-you-need sick days
- Paid parental leave (plus fertility, adoption and other family planning benefits)
- Flexible long-term work options (remote and hybrid)
- Volunteer time off
- A diverse slate of Employee Resource Groups
- Plus commuter contributions and other perks for office-based employees
Discord is a voice, video and text app that helps friends and communities come together to hang out and explore their interests — from artists and activists, to study groups, sneakerheads, plant parents, and more. With 150 million monthly users across 19 million active communities, called servers, Discord has grown to become one of the most popular communications services in the world. Discord was built without selling ads or user data and instead, offers a premium subscription called Nitro that gives users special perks like higher quality streams and fun customizations.
We’re working toward an inclusive world where no one feels like an outsider, where genuine human connection is a click, text chat, or voice call away. A place where everyone can find belonging. Challenging? Heck yes. Rewarding? Double heck yes. It’s a mission that gives us the chance to positively impact millions of people all over the world. So if this strikes a chord with you, come build belonging with us!