UX Researcher Intern
The Summer Internship:
At Discord, we are committed to creating a welcoming digital space where friends and communities can hang out together to create memorable experiences. We offer a personalized experience for interns, and our aim is to offer an experience that mimics what it is like to actually work here. We match qualified interns with projects and groups, based on interests and skill sets and fully embed interns within those groups for the summer.
Internships are paid and run for (at minimum) 12 weeks, targeting a start date in June 2024 to accommodate varying school calendars.
We are seeking a passionate and proactive UX Researcher Intern to join our dynamic Research team. This position is ideal for a college student who possesses an unceasing curiosity, particularly focused on systems design and the development of innovative digital products.
What you'll be doing:
- Work closely with researchers, product managers, data scientists, and designers to inform critical Product (business and design) decisions
- Participate in research scoping, recruitment, execution, and implementation
- Learn to leverage different research methods, tools, and data types to create and communicate a holistic understanding of people and experiences
- Develop artifacts like screeners, scripts, templates, and reports/presentations
- Inspire new ideas through design thinking exercises, like workshops
What you'll bring to the table:
- Currently enrolled in an undergraduate, Master's, or PHD course of study
- Awareness of data and participant privacy best practices
- Experience with qualitative and/or quantitative research methods, along with knowledge of when, why, and how to apply them
- Basic understanding of UX and service experience design and principles
- Experience defining, finding, and communicating with the "right" people for the scope of research, including participants and stakeholders
- Experience using any of the following tools:
- Recruitment (UserTesting, DScout, Respondent IO, User Interviews, Rally)
- Research (UserTesting, Qualtrics, DScout, Tremendous)
- Business (G-Suite, Video conferencing, Concord)
- Qualtrics or related survey tool
Salary of $59/hour (undergrad), $69/hour (Master's) and $79/hour (PhD)
Note: Disclosure as required by NYC Pay Transparency Law and CO Disclosure as required by sb19-085(8-5-20)
Benefits listed below may differ from those available depending on terms of employment*
Benefits and Perks
- Comprehensive medical insurance including Health, Dental and Vision (plus up to $20,000 for gender affirmation procedures)
- Mental health resources and quarterly wellness stipends
- 14+ paid holidays, 4 weeks of PTO + use-what-you-need sick days
- Paid parental leave (plus fertility, adoption and other family planning benefits)
- Flexible long-term work options (remote and hybrid)
- Volunteer time off
- A diverse slate of Employee Resource Groups
- Plus commuter contributions and other perks for office-based employees
Discord is a voice, video and text app that helps friends and communities come together to hang out and explore their interests — from artists and activists, to study groups, sneakerheads, plant parents, and more. With 150 million monthly users across 19 million active communities, called servers, Discord has grown to become one of the most popular communications services in the world. Discord was built without selling ads or user data and instead, offers a premium subscription called Nitro that gives users special perks like higher quality streams and fun customizations.
We’re working toward an inclusive world where no one feels like an outsider, where genuine human connection is a click, text chat, or voice call away. A place where everyone can find belonging. Challenging? Heck yes. Rewarding? Double heck yes. It’s a mission that gives us the chance to positively impact millions of people all over the world. So if this strikes a chord with you, come build belonging with us!