Manager, Anode Performance & Durability
Somerville, MA, USA
Posted on Friday, April 7, 2023
Are you ready to rise to the challenge of climate change with the team that will deliver? Form Energy is a U.S. technology and manufacturing company that is developing and commercializing pioneering energy storage technologies to enable the electric grid to run on 100% renewable energy, every day of the year.
Supported by leading investors such as Breakthrough Energy Ventures, ArcelorMittal, TPG Rise, MIT’s The Engine, and others, we share a common belief that low-cost, multi-day energy storage is the key to enable tomorrow’s zero carbon electric grid. Driven by our core values of humanity, excellence, and creativity, we are deeply motivated and inspired to create a better world. We need talented, hardworking individuals who share our goal of tackling the challenge of climate change. Do you want to work with us today to build a better tomorrow?
We are looking for an experienced R&D manager to join Form Energy’s Anode Development Team, designing and developing a critical component of Form Energy’s multi-day storage system. You will manage a team of engineers to prepare, characterize, and test new anode materials to drive forward the development of a critical component of Form’s multi-day storage system. Your team’s focus will be to improve the electrochemical performance and the durability of the Form’s iron anode through deep electrochemical characterizations, pre/post test material characterizations, root cause analyses, and development and utilization of accelerated stress tests. This is an opportunity to have a direct and daily impact in an exciting energy technology startup.
What You'll Do:
- Lead a team of material / test / battery engineers to develop a portfolio of electrochemical characterizations on Form’s iron anode to understand the performance bottlenecks and drive performance improvements.
- Lead series of root cause failure analysis with the team to identify, understand anode performance bottlenecks, and degradation root causes.
- Develop series of accelerated stress tests based on the degradation mechanism understanding.
- Collaborate with the material development and the electrode engineering teams to improve anode performance to meet target performance, durability, and cost.
- Manage testing pipeline and prioritizations for the anode team.
- Work with the internal characterization team, interpret ex-situ characterization (i.e., SEM, EDS, ICP, XRD, BET, TGA, DSC) data and apply learnings to accelerate the anode development.
- Understand and participate in co-optimization of electrolyte and anode materials for optimal system-level performance.
What You'll Bring:
- 3+ years of expertise in managing and leading teams of battery development / electrochemical system development
- 7+ years experience building and testing electrochemical systems (graduate school time accepted as experience)
- Strong expertise and tracking record of growing employees
- Strong communication skills within a group of peers and broader organization, including with remote team members
- MS or advanced degree in Chemical engineering, Electrochemistry, Material science, or a related field
- Practical experience with electrochemical science and systems, particularly from product oriented systems
- Experience with statistical analysis software, such as JMP
Besides joining a community of people working to make the world better, Form Energy commits to you equitable compensation, stock options, and offers a generous benefits package to make sure you have the support you need to thrive.
We cover 100% of employee premiums and 80% of dependent premiums for medical, dental, and vision insurance for full time employees. We offer a flexible Paid Time Off program and every employee, regardless of gender identity or expression, is eligible for 12 weeks of paid parental bonding leave. A full listing of our benefits is available on our careers page.
At Form Energy, we are working toward a 100% renewable energy future for everyone in the world. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all our employees and are seeking to build a team that reflects the diversity of the people we hope to serve with our revolutionary products. Form Energy is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
See more open positions at Form Energy
Something looks off?