Tech Lead/Manager of Software Engineers
At Ghost, our mission is to make self-driving for everyone. We build autonomous driving software for automakers, based on a breakthrough in artificial intelligence that finally makes highway autonomy safe and scalable for the consumer car market.
Ghost helps automakers reimagine the car of the future with a complete autonomy solution that can be fully customized and continuously upgraded, delivering a car that keeps getting better year after year.
At Ghost, we are responsible for both invention and productization – not only solving complex problems with novel technology but making sure that it can scale to millions of drivers on the road. It’s a bold undertaking, but one that makes for constant learning, real-world impact, and fulfilling work. Together, we are a small, multi-disciplinary team tackling one of the hardest challenges in technology today.
Ghost was founded in 2017 by John Hayes and Volkmar Uhlig. Before Ghost, John co-founded Pure Storage, taking the company public in 2015.
Ghost has over a hundred employees across its headquarters in Mountain View and additional offices in Dallas, Detroit, and Sydney. Ghost has raised over $200 million from investors including Mike Speiser at Sutter Hill Ventures, Keith Rabois at Founders Fund, and Vinod Khosla at Khosla Ventures.
Learn more at https://ghostautonomy.com.
A Tech Lead or Manager at Ghost will be a hands-on leader, fueling our progress to solve the most challenging technical problem of the past two decades: true self-driving.
Software is at the center of our solution and we seek talented engineers who lead by doing. In addition to day-to-day work alongside their team, the successful candidates will work closely with other senior leaders across Ghost to formulate and execute an ambitious strategy for which safety and scalability is front and center.
There are several Tech Lead or Manager roles available on our software team. Types of work range from low level platform bring up to building pipelines for analyzing big data; match with specific teams and projects is based on demonstrated strengths and interests.
What you will do:
- As a hands-on leader, guide and contribute to multiple project processes, including: design, implementation (heavy lifts, code reviews, project task breakdown), and verification and validation
- Lead core aspects for our mission-critical in vehicle runtime platform and/or large-scale distributed data platform
- Execute systems engineering work including, but not limited to: autonomous driving runtime, languages/compilers, operating systems, embedded systems, large-scale distributed databases, model training systems, performance optimization, and software/hardware system architecture
- Utilize vector databases for GPT models in text, video and radar domains
- Oversee significant cross-functional efforts while collaborating with other senior leaders across Ghost
- Supervise project planning and execution for a team while keeping people motivated and engaged
- (For Managers) Spearhead recruitment, people development, and retention of team members
- BS/MS/PhD in Computer Science or related field
- 10+ years of software development experience
- Core competency in general software engineer practice
- Experience leading teams to successfully complete complex software projects
- (For Managers) 3+ years of direct people management experience
Nice to haves:
- Experience in low level platform bring-up, device drivers, and embedded operating systems
- History of building efficient protocols for secure data transfer
- Knowledge in handling big data using tools such as Apache Spark
- Expertise with compliers and operating systems
- Medical, Vision and Dental coverage (PPO, HMO, and HSA options available; 100% premium coverage of several PPO and HMO plans for employees)
- 401(k) plan
- Life Insurance
Compensation for this role consists of a base salary and an options grant, with the base salary expected to range from $175,000 to $250,000+. Individual compensation will be commensurate with the candidate’s experience.
Ghost is committed to equal employment opportunity. We will not discriminate against employees or applicants for employment on any legally‑recognized basis [“protected class”] including, but not limited to: veteran status, uniform service member status, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical or mental disability or any other protected class under federal, state or local law.
Something looks off?