Senior Mobile Engineer
Portland, OR, USA · San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, April 11, 2023
Hinge Health is creating a new health care system, built around you. Accessible to 25 million members across 1,250 customers, Hinge Health is the #1 digital clinic for joint and muscle pain, delivering superior member outcomes and proven claims reductions. We pair the industry’s most advanced motion technology and wearable pain relief with a complete clinical care team of physical therapists, physicians, and board-certified health coaches to help people move beyond pain and reduce surgeries and opioid use. Hinge Health’s HingeConnect integrates with 1 million+ in-person providers to enable earlier interventions for avoidable MSK surgeries. Four in five health plans and employers with a digital MSK solution trust Hinge Health, including Land O’Lakes, L.L. Bean, Salesforce, Self-Insured Schools of California, Southern Company, State of New Jersey, US Foods, and Verizon. Learn more at http://www.hingehealth.com
What does Hybrid mean at Hinge Health?
We believe that remote work and in-person work have their own advantages and disadvantages, and want to be able to leverage the best of both worlds. Some roles which require a greater degree of day-to-day collaboration will benefit from more in-person opportunities. That’s why we are encouraging employees near hubs to have in-person engagement and why we plan to localize our hiring strategy for certain teams to grow within designated hubs.
About the Role
The Devices software team owns the software experience that powers our patented Enso pain relief device, our hardware motion sensors, and our future connected hardware initiatives, experiences which are critical to providing our members with the right treatment and real-time feedback and support through their exercise therapy.
As a senior mobile application engineer on the Devices Software team, you will be applying a strong understanding of mobile development and end-to-end systems design to develop solutions which communicate between our mobile application and a robust set of backend services. You will implement elegant solutions for handling Bluetooth SMART (BLE) peripheral communications within our react-native mobile application, updating peripheral firmware, and ensuring accurate and timely communications with health care devices. You will work closely with engineering counterparts in the team and across the company, as well as closely with product and design to define new user-facing features and solutions for the Hinge Health app.
Senior engineers at Hinge Health collaborate with teammates to tackle the hardest features in a sprint and deliver foundational features, and improvements in small, safe patches. The ideal candidate thrives in a highly collaborative, face-paced, cross functional environment where the end-to-end solution to a problem often involves effective cross-team communication.
We enjoy a continuous deployment DevOps culture, and take owner-operator pride in supporting our code in production with an on-call rotation. Rotations vary by team
Our production systems rely on React Native, React, Nodejs, TypeScript, Nestjs, GraphQL, Docker, Rails, Aptible, AWS, Postgres, Redis, Apollo, and Redux. Our workflow is trunk-based CI/CD, and our security/compliance posture is at the highest standards of healthcare, including HIPAA, HITRUST, SOC 2, and CCPA.
WHAT YOU’LL ACCOMPLISH
- Every day, you'll work collaboratively with your teammates and cross-pod neighbors to support our mission, and solve the organization's toughest problems while raising the bar for quality and innovation
- Every sprint, you'll mentor and share your domain expertise with teammates and other developers in the organization. You’ll work closely with Product and Design to ideate on, scope, and refine new features.
- Every quarter, you'll work on groundbreaking technology; identify, propose, and execute on innovative change to the product, workflows or tooling
- Every year, you'll improve the lives of our users across the world
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING
- Work closely with our product and design team to design and build new features for our quickly-growing Enso user base, as well as for future connected products
- Use deep knowledge of React Native to create clean, efficient code with ample test coverage
- Assist with the design of new system-level concepts, from required backend services to frontend user experiences, in order to deliver purposeful next-gen features to our customers
- Influence hardware and firmware design to maximize the effectiveness of Bluetooth communications
- Work in an agile development ethos with ambitious co-workers residing throughout the Americas
- Break down and scope features to produce accurate delivery estimates
- Set and improve team coding, and engineering best practices
- Pro-actively monitor and improve application performance
- Help millions of people lead better lives by helping to bring our health care concepts to life!
WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR
- Education: Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent technical degree is required for this position
- Environment: At least 5 years experience developing software in an agile team environment. Bonus points for experience working with remote or distributed teams
- Delivery: Ability to break big projects into small, testable pieces to consistently hit business-meaningful milestones
- Domain expertise: Knowledge of Bluetooth SMART (BLE) communications in a React Native setting is a requirement for this role. With 2+ years of practical experience in device communications, must have a good understanding of the React Native framework and how passing BLE data to/from native APIs can be optimized for the framework. 4+ years of experience developing mobile applications (both Android and iOS) that communicate with Bluetooth SMART/low energy peripherals. Knowledge of end-to-end solution design that includes robust back-end services is a strong plus.
- Problem Solving: Breaks down large scale projects into loosely coupled subsystems or strategically sequenced milestones. Designs and implements cost-effective solutions, innovates with rapid spikes, avoids “penny wise, pound foolish” trade offs
- Communication: Clear, inclusive communication with both teammates and non-technical partners
- Leadership: A track record of strong ownership, initiative, tenacity, integrity, and humility
WHAT YOU'LL LOVE ABOUT US
- Inclusive healthcare and benefits: On top of comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage, we offer employees and their family members help with gender-affirming care, tools for family and fertility planning, and travel reimbursements if healthcare isn’t available where you live.
- Planning for the future: Start saving for the future with our traditional or Roth 401k retirement plan options which include a 2% company match.
- Modern life stipends: Manage your own learning and development budget, use the mental health to support therapy costs, and lifestyle stipends to cover your favorite wellness services, and work-from-home equipment.
- Flexible vacation and paid time off: Employees have flexibility to choose when, how, and why they take time off to rest and recharge. Exempt employees can take advantage of our flexible pto program. Nonexempt employees can utilize up to two weeks of sick time and up to 17 days of vacation per year, including mental health days.
- Other compensation: At Hinge Health, we want every employee to be invested and rewarded in the future success of the company. All full-time positions are eligible for equity.
About Hinge Health:
LinkedIn recently named Hinge Health one of the Top 50 Startups. Forbes, Fast Company, and Inc. have also recognized our technology, innovation, and culture.
Since our founding in 2014, we've raised more than $800 million from leading investors, including Coatue and Tiger Global. We work with 1000 customers across every industry and the public sector — including Salesforce, Verizon, and the State of New Jersey — to give more than 23 million people access to the care they need. We’re positioned to continue leading the market with unmatched investments in clinical research, care innovation, machine learning, AI, and computer vision.
Diversity and inclusion:
We’re committed to building diverse teams that reflect the communities we serve. Visit hingehealth.com/diversity-equity-and-inclusion to learn more about what moves us.
Hinge Health is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. We make employment decisions without regards to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, veteran status, disability status, pregnancy, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
We provide reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities. If you feel you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, let us know by reaching out to your recruiter.
There continues to be a significant increase in phishing attempts across all industries where fraudsters are impersonating real employees and sending fictitious job offers to applicants in a scheme to obtain sensitive information. Please note that we will never ask for your financial information at any part of the interview process including the post-offer stage, and will only correspond through @hingehealth.com domain email addresses.
If you encounter any suspicious activity, we recommend you cease all communication with the individual and consider reporting them to the US FBI Internet Crime Complaint Center. If you would like to verify the legitimacy of an email you received from our recruiting team, please forward it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Please do not send resumes via email*
If you're interested - we'd love to hear from you.
See more open positions at Hinge Health
Something looks off?