Staff React Native Engineer (Devices)
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Saturday, December 16, 2023
Hinge Health is moving people beyond pain by transforming the way it is treated and prevented. Connecting people digitally and in-person with expert clinical care, we combine advanced technology, AI and a care team of experts to guide people through personalized care directly from their phone. Our approach is proven to reduce pain by 68%, prevent 42% of new opioid prescriptions, and avoid more than half of joint replacement surgeries. Available to 18M people, Hinge Health is trusted by leading health plans and employers, including Land O’Lakes, L.L. Bean, Salesforce, Self-Insured Schools of California, Southern Company, State of New Jersey, US Foods, and Verizon.
Learn more at http://www.hingehealth.com
Hinge Health Hybrid Model:
We believe that remote work and in-person work have their own advantages and disadvantages, and we want to be able to leverage the best of both worlds. Employees in hybrid roles are required to be in the office 2 days/week. We will be expanding to 3 days/week in the office beginning April of 2024.
About the Role
As a Staff-level mobile application engineer with a good understanding of end-to-end systems that include a robust set of backend services, you will be responsible for architecting solutions for our Device Software team. You will propose and help implement elegant solutions for handling Bluetooth SMART (BLE) peripheral communications within our React Native mobile application, with your acute awareness of the inherent fragility of BLE communications in the contexts of updating peripheral firmware and ensuring accurate and timely communications with health care devices. As a Staff engineer, you will be a technical software lead for our hardware/software integration team, working on the software experience that users will interact with to engage with our hardware motion sensors and our patented Enso pain relief device, as well as future hardware initiatives.
Staff engineers at Hinge Health collaborate with teammates to tackle the hardest features in a sprint and deliver foundational architecture improvements in small, safe patches. The ideal candidate thrives in a highly collaborative, cross functional environment where the end-to-end solution to a problem often involves effective cross-team communication.
We enjoy a continuous deployment DevOps culture, and take owner-operator pride in supporting our code in production with an on-call rotation. Rotations vary by team.
Our production systems rely on React Native, React, Node.js, Typescript, NestJS, GraphQL, Docker, Rails, Aptible, AWS, Postgres, Redis, Apollo, and Redux. Our workflow is trunk-based CI/CD, and our security/compliance posture is at the highest standards of healthcare, including HIPAA, HITRUST, SOC 2, and CCPA.
WHAT YOU'LL ACCOMPLISH
- Every day, you'll work collaboratively with your teammates and cross-pod neighbors to support our mission, and solve the organization's toughest problems while raising the bar for quality and innovation.
- Every sprint, you'll mentor and share your domain expertise with teammates and others developers in the organization.
- Every quarter, you'll work on groundbreaking technology; identify, propose, and execute a significant platform-wide upgrade or innovative change to workflows or tooling.
- Every year, you'll improve the lives of millions users across the world.
WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR
- Environment: At least 8+ years experience developing software in an agile team environment, with a plus for experience working with remote or distributed teams.
- Delivery: Consistent, on time, high quality delivery of architecture upgrades and elegant solutions to knotty features.
- Domain expertise: With 4+ years of practical experience with the cross-platform React Native mobile app framework, must have a deep understanding and knowledge required to architect high-performance, low-latency solutions within it. 8+ years of experience developing mobile applications (both Android and iOS) preferred. A familiarity with Bluetooth SMART (BLE) communications is a strong plus, or some experience with wireless peripherals (particularly medical devices) more generally. Knowledge of end-to-end solution design that includes robust back-end services is a strong plus.
- Problem Solving: Breaks down large scale projects into loosely coupled subsystems or strategically sequenced milestones. Designs cost-effective solutions, innovates with rapid spikes, avoids “penny wise, pound foolish” trade offs.
- Communication: Clear, inclusive communication with both teammates and non-technical partners. Mentors other team members effectively, helping them expand their reach over time.
- Leadership: Able to propose major code or best practice upgrades, lead healthy discussions that improve the proposal, and lead adoption from the front. Works within compliance guidelines, makes long-term architecture decisions.
- Education: Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent technical degree or equivalent experience.
- Experience in leading and managing projects that have inter-team dependencies and require seamless collaboration and integration between different components of the software ecosystem.
- Proficient in identifying and executing technical initiatives that address the bottlenecks in the development process or improve overall development cycle
WHAT YOU'LL LOVE ABOUT US
- Inclusive healthcare and benefits: On top of comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage, we offer employees and their family members help with gender-affirming care, tools for family and fertility planning, and travel reimbursements if healthcare isn’t available where you live.
- Planning for the future: Start saving for the future with our traditional or Roth 401k retirement plan options which include a 2% company match.
- Modern life stipends: Manage your own learning and development budget, use the mental health to support therapy costs, and lifestyle stipends to cover your favorite wellness services, and work-from-home equipment.
- Flexible vacation and paid time off: Employees have flexibility to choose when, how, and why they take time off to rest and recharge. Exempt employees can take advantage of our flexible PTO program. Nonexempt employees can utilize up to two weeks of sick time and up to 17 days of vacation per year, including mental health days.
- In-office perks: Daily lunch, coffee/tea and office snacks, and weekly social hours.
- Other compensation: At Hinge Health, we want every employee to be invested and rewarded in the future success of the company. All full-time positions are eligible for equity.
About Hinge Health:
LinkedIn recently named Hinge Health one of the Top 50 Startups. Forbes, Fast Company, and Inc. have also recognized our technology, innovation, and culture.
Since our founding in 2014, we've raised more than $800 million from leading investors, including Coatue and Tiger Global. We work with 1000 customers across every industry and the public sector — including Salesforce, Verizon, and the State of New Jersey — to give more than 23 million people access to the care they need. We’re positioned to continue leading the market with unmatched investments in clinical research, care innovation, machine learning, AI, and computer vision.
Diversity and Inclusion:
We’re committed to building diverse teams that reflect the communities we serve. Visit hingehealth.com/diversity-equity-and-inclusion to learn more about what moves us.
Hinge Health is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. We make employment decisions without regards to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, veteran status, disability status, pregnancy, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
We provide reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities. If you feel you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, let us know by reaching out to your recruiter.
By providing your information through this page or applying for a job at Hinge Health, you acknowledge that Hinge Health will collect, use, and process your information as part of our job application process. For more information on how Hinge Health processes your personal information, click here to view our Applicant and Personnel Privacy Notice.
There continues to be a significant increase in phishing attempts across all industries where fraudsters are impersonating real employees and sending fictitious job offers to applicants in a scheme to obtain sensitive information. Please note that we will never ask for your financial information at any part of the interview process including the post-offer stage, and will only correspond through @hingehealth.com domain email addresses.
If you encounter any suspicious activity, we recommend you cease all communication with the individual and consider reporting them to the U.S. FBI Internet Crime Complaint Center. If you would like to verify the legitimacy of an email you received from our recruiting team, please forward it to firstname.lastname@example.org
*Please do not send resumes via email*