Director, Compliance Counsel
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2024
Hinge Health is moving people beyond pain by transforming the way it is treated and prevented. Connecting people digitally and in-person with expert clinical care, we combine advanced technology, AI and a care team of experts to guide people through personalized care directly from their phone. Our approach is proven to reduce pain by 68%, prevent 42% of new opioid prescriptions, and avoid more than half of joint replacement surgeries. Available to 18M people, Hinge Health is trusted by leading health plans and employers, including Land O’Lakes, L.L. Bean, Salesforce, Self-Insured Schools of California, Southern Company, State of New Jersey, US Foods, and Verizon.
Learn more at http://www.hingehealth.com
Hinge Health Hybrid Model:
We believe that remote work and in-person work have their own advantages and disadvantages, and we want to be able to leverage the best of both worlds. Employees in hybrid roles are required to be in the office 2 days/week. We will be expanding to 3 days/week in the office beginning April of 2024.
About the Role
Hinge Health is looking for an experienced and motivated Director, Compliance Counsel to join our compliance & legal team and work with us in a fast-paced, dynamic environment. This role will focus on supporting our healthcare compliance, corporate compliance & ethics, product team, marketing team, and other internal business teams, as assigned. The Director, Compliance Counsel may also have the opportunity to work on projects that intersect with privacy, technology, and information security, as the need arises. This is a unique opportunity to join a small team as we grow, both as a team and a company. You’ll work closely with compliance and legal colleagues on our team, as well as in close coordination with the business groups you’ll support, including those in leadership roles. This role provides an exciting opportunity to continue learning and growing your professional skills within a collaborative team of professionals, and will provide opportunities to demonstrate your leadership skills.
Description of an ideal candidate
The ideal candidate is a self-starter who loves to learn, is willing to roll up their sleeves and dive in and has in-house experience working in a dynamic, fast-paced, and healthcare tech focused environment. We are looking for someone with experience providing legal and regulatory compliance guidance related to healthcare and tech, managing compliance program responsibilities, including policy management, leading regulatory inquiry and audit responses, and providing guidance to product and other business teams from initial stages of development to implementation phases of new products or services, providing risk-mitigation and compliance guidance along the way. The ideal candidate has a background in federal healthcare programs (Medicare, Medicaid, VA), government contracting (FAR), state laws impacting health care providers, healthcare operations, FTC compliance for health apps, product compliance, marketing compliance, revenue cycle compliance, clinical policy compliance, and has worked in-house on a compliance or legal team where they gained experience supporting internal business clients. Willingness to be a team player and collaborate on process improvement projects is also essential.
WHAT YOU'LL ACCOMPLISH
- Provide legal and regulatory guidance that enables the business to pursue healthcare market opportunities, including growth in federally funded healthcare programs.
- Review and provide feedback on compliance portions of partner and vendor contracts, with an eye toward ensuring adequacy and compliant terms.
- Work with internal business teams to support product and service growth by providing actionable compliance guidance and risk-mitigation strategies.
- Manage compliance program elements such as policy management, compliance investigation support, and risk analysis.
- Provide compliance risk analysis and audit/monitoring leadership.
- Provide compliance guidance for healthcare provider operations, licensing, credentialing, accreditation, and state law related questions in a 50-state environment.
- Work cross-functionally with privacy and information security teams, product, marketing, IT, and others to resolve compliance concerns and strengthen the company’s culture of compliance.
- Other related duties as assigned.
WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR
- JD degree with bar passage in one US jurisdiction.
- A minimum of 10+ years of related legal experience focusing on healthcare compliance or regulatory matters. Certification from HCCA, SCCE, IAPP, or similar compliance or auditing certification from a recognized industry association is a bonus.
- Experience working in-house in a healthcare legal or corporate compliance program or with a federal or state regulatory agency is highly preferred. Healthcare and/or tech industry legal/compliance experience would be ideal.
- Motivation to contribute value to your business partners with your project leadership capabilities, and your insightful, concise and actionable regulatory and compliance guidance and to keep current with relevant legal and regulatory changes impacting Hinge Health’s business.
- Demonstrated legal and compliance knowledge in multiple regulatory areas that support Hinge Health’s products and services, including new markets outside of the USA.
- Ability to manage projects from start to finish, and ability to lead people or cross-functional teams, as needed to complete major compliance objectives.
- Willingness to learn new technologies that help Hinge Health operate more efficiently.
- Ability to thrive in a rapidly changing and growing environment, and capability to prioritize and meet competing project needs.
- Ability to work as part of a team by engaging effectively in collaborative work with colleagues to support Hinge Health’s business teams.
- Flexibility and adaptability to handle ambiguity.
WHAT YOU'LL LOVE ABOUT US
- Inclusive healthcare and benefits: On top of comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage, we offer employees and their family members help with gender-affirming care, tools for family and fertility planning, and travel reimbursements if healthcare isn’t available where you live.
- Planning for the future: Start saving for the future with our traditional or Roth 401k retirement plan options which include a 2% company match.
- Modern life stipends: Manage your own learning and development
About Hinge Health:
LinkedIn recently named Hinge Health one of the Top 50 Startups. Forbes, Fast Company, and Inc. have also recognized our technology, innovation, and culture.
Since our founding in 2014, we've raised more than $800 million from leading investors, including Coatue and Tiger Global. We work with 1000 customers across every industry and the public sector — including Salesforce, Verizon, and the State of New Jersey — to give more than 23 million people access to the care they need. We’re positioned to continue leading the market with unmatched investments in clinical research, care innovation, machine learning, AI, and computer vision.
Diversity and Inclusion:
We’re committed to building diverse teams that reflect the communities we serve. Visit hingehealth.com/diversity-equity-and-inclusion to learn more about what moves us.
Hinge Health is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. We make employment decisions without regards to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, veteran status, disability status, pregnancy, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
We provide reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities. If you feel you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, let us know by reaching out to your recruiter.
By providing your information through this page or applying for a job at Hinge Health, you acknowledge that Hinge Health will collect, use, and process your information as part of our job application process. For more information on how Hinge Health processes your personal information, click here to view our Applicant and Personnel Privacy Notice.
There continues to be a significant increase in phishing attempts across all industries where fraudsters are impersonating real employees and sending fictitious job offers to applicants in a scheme to obtain sensitive information. Please note that we will never ask for your financial information at any part of the interview process including the post-offer stage, and will only correspond through @hingehealth.com domain email addresses.
If you encounter any suspicious activity, we recommend you cease all communication with the individual and consider reporting them to the U.S. FBI Internet Crime Complaint Center. If you would like to verify the legitimacy of an email you received from our recruiting team, please forward it to email@example.com
*Please do not send resumes via email*