Staff Security Engineer, Detection & Response
We're transforming the grocery industry
At Instacart, we invite the world to share love through food because we believe everyone should have access to the food they love and more time to enjoy it together. Where others see a simple need for grocery delivery, we see exciting complexity and endless opportunity to serve the varied needs of our community. We work to deliver an essential service that customers rely on to get their groceries and household goods, while also offering safe and flexible earnings opportunities to Instacart Personal Shoppers.
Instacart has become a lifeline for millions of people, and we’re building the team to help push our shopping cart forward. If you’re ready to do the best work of your life, come join our table.
Instacart is a Flex First team
There’s no one-size fits all approach to how we do our best work. Our employees have the flexibility to choose where they do their best work—whether it’s from home, an office, or your favorite coffee shop—while staying connected and building community through regular in-person events. Learn more about our flexible approach to where we work.
We're looking for an experienced security engineer to join our fast moving team. We work on a range of interesting and challenging problems, from supporting thousands of concurrent shoppers and processing millions of data points in real time, to determining the best route for deliveries and predicting store inventory levels.
Our goal is to run the world's most trusted and secure grocery delivery platform. We work across all layers of our infrastructure to ensure we deploy trustworthy systems and protect our customers’, shoppers’, and partners’ data.
As the founding member of Detection Engineering within the Detection And Response Team, you will have a tremendous impact on Instacart's security posture and engineering culture. Detection Engineering accomplishes this by building a highly scalable intrusion detection platform and data warehouse/lake - we are the foundation of detection and response. This is a great opportunity for someone who wants to have a large sense of ownership, grow extraordinarily in their career, and develop cross-functional technical and soft skills. Our platform is complex, rapidly scaling and processing millions of transactions in real-time, all of the time.
ABOUT THE JOB
- Develop and run cloud-native data pipelines to gather security telemetry data from cloud production systems at scale
- Participate in our on call rotation to ensure our platform and customers have support when they need it the most
- Implement tools and frameworks to detect threats across Instacart environments
- Contribute to improving processes, procedures and technologies used for detection and response
- 10+ years of experience in the Information Security field, including operational security monitoring experience
- Experience developing detection rules (YARA, etc.)
- Domain knowledge managing and working with modern security data lake/warehouse platforms as well as data pipelines (Kafka, Flink)
- Experience with AWS, GCP or Azure environments
- Experience developing tools and automation using common devops toolsets and programming languages
- Experience working in or with SRE or detection engineering and response teams
- Exceptional analytical and investigative abilities with hands-on experience
- Excellent communication skills - ability to serve as a security advocate and evangelist
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Security, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or equivalent work experience
- Python scripting experience
3+ years of full-time experience in data infrastructure ideally within the information security field
Instacart provides highly market-competitive compensation and benefits in each location where our employees work. This role is remote and the base pay range for a successful candidate is dependent on their permanent work location. Please review our Flex First remote work policy here.
Offers may vary based on many factors, such as candidate experience and skills required for the role. Additionally, this role is eligible for a new hire equity grant as well as annual refresh grants. Please read more about our benefits offerings here.
For US based candidates, the base pay ranges for a successful candidate are listed below.
Accommodations & Accessibility
At Instacart, we strive to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates. If you need assistance submitting an application through our career site due to a disability, please submit an Accommodations Request Form and someone from our team will reach out soon to see how we may be able to assist.
Something looks off?