Head of Trust & Safety
Everyone is welcome at Handshake. We know diverse teams build better products and we are committed to creating an inclusive culture built on a foundation of respect for all individuals. We strongly encourage candidates from non-traditional backgrounds, historically marginalized or underrepresented groups to apply.
As the Head of Trust & Safety at Handshake you will play a pivotal role in shaping and maintaining a secure and trustworthy environment for our student, employer and education users. Leveraging your extensive experience in trust and safety, content moderation, and user generated content platforms, you will lead a dedicated team and collaborate with cross-functional stakeholders to ensure the highest standards of safety, compliance, and user satisfaction.
1. Strategic Leadership:
- Develop and execute a comprehensive trust and safety strategy aligned with business goals and industry best practices.
- Provide visionary leadership to the Trust & Safety team, setting clear goals and objectives.
2. Content Moderation:
- Oversee the content moderation function, ensuring compliance with regulatory requirements and maintaining a safe and trustworthy career focused community for all users.
- Implement and refine content moderation policies and procedures to address emerging challenges including generative AI.
3. Risk Assessment and Mitigation:
- Conduct thorough risk assessments related to user behavior, content, and platform security.
- Collaborate with legal, compliance, and product teams to mitigate risks and uphold the company's reputation.
4. Policy Development:
- Lead the development and refinement of trust and safety policies, staying abreast of industry trends, and adapting policies accordingly.
- Communicate policies effectively to internal teams and external stakeholders.
5. Cross-functional Collaboration:
- Work closely with product development, engineering, legal, and customer support teams to integrate trust and safety measures into product design and customer service processes.
6. Incident Response:
- Develop and implement incident response protocols to address policy/content violations, and other applicable trust and safety issues.
- Conduct post-incident reviews and implement improvements to prevent recurrence.
7. Compliance and Legal Oversight:
- Ensure compliance with relevant laws and regulations related to trust and safety, data privacy, and content moderation.
- Collaborate with legal teams to address legal issues related to user safety and content moderation.
- Proven experience in a senior leadership role within Trust & Safety, ideally within a community-focused company that focuses on user generated content.
- In-depth knowledge of industry best practices, regulations, and emerging trends related to trust and safety.
- Strong strategic thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to collaborate across departments.
- Experience in managing and leading teams, fostering a culture of excellence and innovation.
- Experience with relevant tools and technologies for content moderation and user safety.
- $240,000 to $265,000
For cash compensation, we set standard ranges for all U.S.-based roles based on function, level, and geographic location, benchmarked against similar stage growth companies. In order to be compliant with local legislation, as well as to provide greater transparency to candidates, we share salary ranges on all job postings regardless of desired hiring location. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors, including geographic location as well as candidate experience and expertise, and may vary from the amounts listed above.
Handshake is the #1 place to launch a career with no connections, experience, or luck required. The platform connects up-and-coming talent with 750,000+ employers - from Fortune 500 companies like Google, Nike, and Target to thousands of public school districts, healthcare systems, and nonprofits. In 2022 we announced our $200M Series F funding round. This Series F fundraise and valuation of $3.5B will fuel Handshake’s next phase of growth and propel our mission to help more people start, restart, and jumpstart their careers.
When it comes to our workforce strategy, we’ve thought deeply about how work-life should look here at Handshake. With our Hub-Based Remote Working strategy, employees can enjoy the flexibility of remote work, whilst ensuring collaboration and team experiences in a shared space remains possible. Handshake is headquartered in San Francisco with offices in Denver, New York, London, and Berlin and teammates working globally.
Check out our careers site to find a hub near you!
What we offer
At Handshake, we'll give you the tools to feel healthy, happy and secure.
Benefits below apply to employees in full-time positions.
- 💰 Equity and ownership in a fast-growing company.
- 🍼 16 Weeks of paid parental leave for birth giving parents & 10 weeks of paid parental leave for non-birth giving parents.
- 💝 Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision policies including LGTBQ+ Coverage. We also provide resources for Mental Health Assistance, Employee Assistance Programs and counseling support.
- 💻 Handshake offers $500/£360 home office stipend for you to spend during your first 3 months to create a productive and comfortable workspace at home.
- 📚 Generous learning & development opportunities and an annual $2,000/£1,500/€1,850 stipend for you to grow your skills and career.
- 💰 Financial coaching through Origin to help you through your financial journey.
- Monthly internet stipend and a brand new MacBook to allow you to do your best work.
- 🚃 Monthly commuter stipend for you to expense your travel to the office (for office-based employees).
- 🥗 Free lunch provided twice a week across all offices.
- 🤝 Referral bonus to reward you when you bring great talent to Handshake.
(US-specific benefits, in addition to the first section)
- 🏦 401k Match: Handshake offers a dollar-for-dollar match on 1% of deferred salary, up to a maximum of $1,200 per year.
- 🏝 All full-time US-based Handshakers are eligible for our flexible time off policy to get out and see the world. In addition, we offer 8 standardized holidays, and 2 additional days of flexible holiday time off. Lastly, we have a Winter #ShakeBreak, a one-week period of Collective Time Off.
- 🍼 Lactation support: Handshake partners with Milk Stork to provide a comprehensive 100% employer-sponsored lactation support to traveling parents and guardians.
(UK-specific benefits, in addition to the first section)
- 🏦 Pension Scheme: Handshake will provide you with a workplace pension, where you will make contributions based on 5% of your salary. Handshake will pay the equivalent of 3% towards your pension plan, subject to qualifying earnings limits.
- 🏝 Up to 25 days of vacation to encourage people to reset, recharge, and refresh, in addition to 8 bank holidays throughout the year.
- 🤝 Regular offsites each year to bring the team together + opportunity to travel to our HQ in San Francisco.
- 🛍️ Discounts across various high street retailers, cinemas and other social activities exclusively for Handshake UK employees.
(Germany-specific benefits, in addition to the first section)
- 🏝 25 days of annual leave + we have a Winter #ShakeBreak, a one-week period of Collective Time Off across the company.
- 🤝 Regular offsites each year to bring the team together + opportunity to travel to our HQ in San Francisco once a year.
- 🧘 Urban sports club membership offering access to a diverse network of fitness and wellness facilities.
- 🛍️ Discounts across various high street retailers, cinemas and other social activities exclusively for Handshake Germany employees.
For roles based in Romania: Please ask your recruiter about region specific benefits.
Looking for more? Explore our mission, values and comprehensive US benefits at joinhandshake.com/careers.