Director, Government Relations
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2024
Lime is the world's largest shared electric vehicle company. We’re on a mission to build a future where transportation is shared, affordable and carbon-free. Our electric bikes and scooters have powered 400+ million rides in 250+ cities on 5 continents, replacing an estimated 100+ million car trips. Named a Time 100 Most Influential Company and Fast Company Brand That Matters, we achieved a fully profitable year in 2022, becoming the first in our industry to reach this milestone.
Lime is seeking a Director of Government Relations for Japan to join Lime's highly experienced global policy and communications team. In this role, you will be instrumental in launching and scaling Lime’s shared mobility program across Japan. The Director will collaborate closely with the Country Manager and will champion micromobility policies, spearhead the launch and growth of new programs, and cultivate significant, trust-based relationships with key stakeholders at both national and municipal levels across Japan.
The ideal candidate will possess proven expertise in policy advocacy, adept at fostering robust relationships and engaging a wide range of stakeholders. This skill is particularly crucial in Japan's consensus-driven political environment, where understanding and navigating intricate relationships will be key to Lime’s success. Additionally, experience in crafting strategies to navigate and shape complex regulations at various government levels is essential.
Effective communication skills are paramount for conveying Lime's values and objectives to regulators, the media,, and other key groups. The successful candidate must adapt Lime’s global narrative to Japan's political and media landscape. The Director role requires agility in adapting to evolving goals, resilience and drive to overcome challenges and achieve objectives.
This role is ideally based in Tokyo but can be flexible Japan-wide. The role reports to the Head of Government Relations for Americas-APAC.
What you'll do:
- Develop and maintain strategic partnerships with Japanese government leaders, key business entities, non-profits, community organizations, local media, and other relevant partners.
- Collaborate with the Country Manager for Japan to evaluate, prioritize, and implement strategies for launching and expanding Lime's vehicle fleet in key Japanese markets, with a focus on local regulatory landscapes and community needs.
- Work with regional operations, campaigns, and policy leadership teams to create and execute a long-term government relations strategy that aligns with Lime's global priorities and meets specific objectives for cities in Japan.
- Partner with the communications and marketing teams on initiatives tailored for the Japanese audience, focusing on educational and safety programs, localized advertising/marketing campaigns, and engagement with local media.
- Actively participate in media interviews, and speak at government and community forums, and public events, representing Lime's interests and values.
- Analyze, report, and provide insights on local Japanese regulatory or legislative changes to regional leadership and company headquarters. Proactively identify and address potential operational impacts within Japanese markets.
- As a leader on the Americas-APAC government relations team, contribute and work with cross-functional colleagues to develop models and best practices in stakeholder engagement, strategy execution, and team efficiency.
- Manage local public policy/government affairs consultants, establishing clear metrics for success and accountability, ensuring alignment with Lime's goals.
- At least ten (10) years of experience in government affairs, public policy, campaigns, and/or community development within a government or closely related environment.
- A minimum of two (2) years of direct engagement with Japanese municipal and/or provincial governments, or involvement in related campaigns or public policy initiatives.
- Native/fluent Japanese speaker; excellent English language communication skills and comfortability speaking in public are required.
- Adept at multitasking and managing multiple priorities simultaneously, especially in a dynamic and demanding work environment.
- An analytical and strategic mindset with the ability to drive the company toward high-impact initiatives and efficient growth.
- Willingness and availability to travel as per evolving business needs, especially within Japan and potentially to other regions.
When you join Lime, you join a global community of smart, caring, talented individuals working together to deliver world-changing results; striving to create an experience that enables Limers to do their best work. Here are some ways we support and invest in our team:
Competitive salaries, performance-based annual bonus and pre-IPO equity
Health and wellness offerings for all team members starting day one including access to top-tier fitness and mindfulness apps
Flexible vacation policies with ample paid holidays tailored to country of residence
Fully-paid leave following the birth or adoption of a child and financial, medical and educational support for Limers pursuing parenthood
Support for retirement and financial goals with unlimited access to financial advisors
Unlimited, complimentary use of our vehicles in hundreds of cities around the world
Professional growth opportunities through quarterly learning days and top-tier tools
Opportunities to connect across teams and locations to network, socialize and volunteer
Culture of belonging with Employee Resource Groups that engage and promote cultural awareness and DEI training across all functions
Consistent recognition of great work through meaningful rewards and career advancements
Benefits and perks vary depending on the nature of your employment and country of residence. Terms and conditions may apply.
If you want to make an impact, Lime is the place for you. Not sure if you meet all the qualifications? If this role excites you we encourage you to apply. Explore all opportunities on our career page.
Lime is an Equal Opportunity Employer, but that’s just the start. We believe different perspectives help us grow and achieve more. That’s why we’re dedicated to hiring and developing the most talented and globally diverse team – which includes individuals with different backgrounds, abilities, identities and experiences.