Senior Backend Engineer - Distributed Systems
Mux is video for developers. Our mission is to democratize video by solving the hard problems developers face when building video: video encoding and streaming (Mux Video), video monitoring (Mux Data), and more. Video is a huge part of people’s lives, and we want to help make it better.
We’re committed to building a healthy team that welcomes a diverse range of backgrounds and experiences. We want people who care about our mission, are ready to grow, believe in our values (from Be Human to Turn Customers Into Fans), and want to make the people around them better.
You’ll be joining a tight-knit team with experience at places like Google, YouTube, Twitch, Zencoder, Fastly, and more. Our founders previously started (and sold) Zencoder, an early leader in cloud video technology, and authored Video.js, the biggest HTML5 video player on the web. We organize Demuxed, the premiere conference for video engineers in the world.
We’re backed by top investors like Coatue, Accel, Andreessen Horowitz, and Y Combinator. You’ll get to work with amazing companies: hundreds of startups, plus Reddit, Vimeo, Robinhood, CBSi, Discovery, PBS, and TED. Customers large and small love working with us and love our team.
We are building something big together. We’d love to hear from you!
About the Role
As a Senior Backend Engineer at Mux, you will play a key role in building Mux’s next-generation Video products that power delightful user experiences for millions worldwide.
You will lead & execute complex projects across our globally distributed architecture serving many thousands of requests per second & many petabytes of content, help chart the technical direction of our platform, and work closely with the rest of the engineering team to advance how we build software collaboratively.
What You’ll Do
- Work cross-functionally with product, customer success, and other engineering teams to execute on product and business strategy and build cutting-edge products that our customers will love.
- Contribute to the full development cycle: technical design, development, test, experimentation, analysis, and launch. You’ll be reviewing code and design docs, giving feedback on product specs, and be involved in running your code.
- Take accountability for the delivery of projects, both as a hands-on contributor & architect, as well as a facilitator.
- Bring ideas and directly influence your team's roadmap, collaborating closely with cross-functional stakeholders.
- Build & promote best-practices in your team for availability, reliability, and production readiness.
Who you are
- 4+ years of experience in production Backend Engineering using Golang, with a successful track record of contributing to sizable projects from start to finish with end user impact.
- Expertise in building & operating distributed systems, microservices, and globally-available systems at scale, including best-practices for availability, reliability, caching, and deployment.
- A track record of writing high-quality, maintainable code across multiple services & team boundaries.
- Solid operational experience with Kubernetes, monitoring tools (we use Grafana & Prometheus), databases (we use CockroachDB, Clickhouse, & Redis) and data streaming technologies (we use Kafka & Flink).
- Experience using CDNs like Cloudflare or Fastly.
- Excellent communication, collaboration, and problem-solving skills.
- Experience working with Media & Video, specifically, is a plus, but not required!
In our commitment to provide transparency with candidates, we openly share base pay ranges for all job postings within the United States, regardless of the state. These pay ranges are established using standardized criteria, including job function, level, and location. They're also benchmarked against similar companies in a similar stage of growth. The starting base pay for this position is between $195K and $225K. Actual pay is influenced by various factors such as location, skills, depth of experience, and internal equity.
If you don't have all of these requirements but think your experience could be a great fit, that's okay! Please apply and we can talk about what's most needed in the role.
You'd join an amazing team from places like Google/YouTube, Amazon/Twitch, Facebook/Oculus, Brightcove, Bain, and the BBC. We have a supportive culture that cares about both excellent work and work-life balance.
We are remote-equal, with an office space in Downtown San Francisco and London.
- Flexible PTO with 2-week minimum + 11 company holidays
- Weekly no-meeting days + quarterly focus weeks
- Healthy work-life balance encouraged
- Competitive health, dental, and vision insurance (99% employee and 60% dependent premium coverage)
- Fertility benefits
- Flexible spending accounts for healthcare, dependent care, and commuter benefits
- Short-term and long-term disability insurance
- Group life insurance
- Critical illness & accident insurance
- Travel accident insurance
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Medical support concierge service
- Paid parental leave
- Investment in career growth and training
- Continued education stipend
- Thought leadership and peer recognition program
- Reimbursements for headphones, cell phones, device upgrades, and SVoD services of Mux customers
- Lunch reimbursement program
Mux is an Equal Opportunity employer committed to building a diverse company. We believe diversity makes us better, and we strive to be inclusive and equitable. That’s why we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status.