R&D Software Engineering Intern (Non-Publishing)
Niantic's Research and Development team is seeking a final year Masters or PhD-student with strong software engineering skills. Join us for a 3 or 4 month internship that will involve computer vision and machine learning. You will collaborate closely with our growing team of researchers and engineers in London (UK) on a project that is paramount to Niantic’s roadmap. The aim is not to publish an academic paper, but to help ship technology that will be enjoyed by millions of our players.
The projects you will work on fit under the broad umbrella of augmented reality, including machine learning, mapping & relocalization, tracking, and 3D reconstruction. We invite you to explore the best AR problems with us!
- Work alongside our engineers and researchers to build and solve problems collaboratively.
- Participate in the design, development and implementation of software solutions.
- Adhere to software engineering best practices and contribute to code reviews.
- Dig into a fun engineering challenge in a computer vision & machine learning topic such as 3D Reconstruction, SLAM, and build automatic data pipelines
- Required in-office 2 days on Tuesday and Thursday.
- Enrolled as a Master’s or PhD student in Computer Science or related field
- Previous experience working collaboratively in a professional software development team
- You have built your own software systems in Python or C++, wrangling 2D and/or 3D data
- You are highly curious and don’t shy away from picking up new technologies and learning about new technologies
- Proven understanding of computer science fundamentals with excellent coding, problem solving, and debugging skills
- You have used cloud computing platforms such as GCP or AWS before.
- You have experience designing your own architectures within a deep learning framework (e.g. PyTorch, Tensorflow, or similar).
- You have made data structures or other design choices to optimize pipeline speed
- You have had 1+ papers accepted to CVPR / ICCV / NeurIPS / IROS / ISMAR / SIGGRAPH / CHI type conferences.
The pay range for this internship is GBP 6200 to GBP 7200 per Month.
Join the Niantic team!
Niantic is the world’s leading AR technology company, sparking creative and engaging journeys in the real world. Our products inspire outdoor exploration, exercise, and meaningful social interaction.
Originally formed at Google in 2011, we became an independent company in 2015. Some of our current consumer titles include pioneering global-control game Ingress, record-breaking AR game Pokémon GO, and Pikmin Bloom. In November 2021, we launched our developer platform, Lightship, enabling creators to build immersive AR experiences around the globe. Our basketball universe has come to life, as we recently launched one of the most innovative sports games ever, in partnership with the NBA. NBA ALL-World is now live and playable globally! Niantic is an Equal Opportunity employer.
We believe that cultivating a workplace where our people are supported and included is essential to creating great products our community will love. Our mission emphasizes seeking and hiring diverse voices, including those who are traditionally underrepresented in the technology industry, and we consider this to be one of the most important values we hold close.
Niantic is a hybrid first company. We believe that in person interaction and collaboration fosters creativity, a sense of community, and is critical to our future success as a company. Our hybrid work schedules allow for a mix of remote and in-office work.
We're a hard-working, fun, and exciting group who value intellectual curiosity and a passion for problem-solving! We have growing offices located in San Francisco, Sunnyvale, Palo Alto, Bellevue, Los Angeles, Kansas, New York, Miami, London, Tokyo, Hamburg, Hyderabad, and Zurich. #LI-HYBRID
Something looks off?