Software Engineer, Web/Fullstack
Everyday, tens of millions of people log into Niantic titles to explore, play, and connect with each other in real-world, digital games and experiences. At Niantic, we’re also building the products and platform that empower our community of developers to create these unique and exciting experiences that reinvent how we interact with reality. Our mission is to inspire everyone to explore the world together!
As a Software Engineer on the Campfire team, you will play a critical role in designing, building, and scaling the user-facing products and server infrastructure that connect our players to engage more deeply with our games. You will work on challenging technical problems involving real-time indexing, querying, and aggregation at high scales, serving millions of players worldwide. Your work will directly contribute to crafting the future of human-computer interaction and defining a new model for a better reality.
- Design and develop user-facing features on Niantic Campfire that enhance social interaction, discovery, and engagement within our games and experiences.
- Implement server-side features in Golang, optimizing performance and reliability.
- Build delightful front-end UI in Typescript and React.
- Collaborate with product managers, UX designers, and other team members to ensure seamless integration of Campfire platform features with Niantic's suite of products.
- Perform load testing, code reviews, write unit tests, and tackle issues to maintain system uptime and performance.
- Actively participate in the full software development life cycle, from ideation to launch and beyond.
- Mentor junior engineers and contribute to crafting an inclusive, encouraging, and team-oriented environment.
- Collaborate with cross-functional team members and stakeholders, including regular and reliable attendance and participation in meetings.
- Required in-office 2 days on Wednesday and Thursday.
- BS, MS, or PhD in Computer Science or a related technical field.
- 3+ years of professional software engineering experience in a technology company.
- Deep understanding of social and gaming products and a passion for crafting delightful user experiences.
- Excellent problem-solving skills, with the ability to work independently and take on ambiguous challenges.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced hybrid environment and handle stress appropriately and/or ability to solve practical problems and be sufficiently adaptable to handle dynamic situations with little advance notice.
- Experience working on cross-functional teams with ability to communicate effectively through written and verbal communications, including synchronous interactions with others.
- You have launched applications from zero to one.
- You thrive in a fast-paced engineering environment and have an eye for detail.
- You play Niantic's games like Pokemon Go, Ingress, or Pikmin Bloom.
- You are familiar with GraphQL and Relay.
The total compensation package for this position includes a new hire offer base salary range of $158,000 - $221,000 + bonus + equity + benefits.
Individual pay within this salary range is determined by work location and additional factors, including assessed job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can answer any questions about new hire total compensation during the hiring process. An overview of benefit offerings for your location can be found on the careers page.
Join the Niantic team!
Niantic is the world’s leading AR technology company, sparking creative and engaging journeys in the real world. Our products inspire outdoor exploration, exercise, and meaningful social interaction.
Originally formed at Google in 2011, we became an independent company in 2015. Some of our current consumer titles include pioneering global-control game Ingress, record-breaking AR game Pokémon GO, and Pikmin Bloom. In November 2021, we launched our developer platform, Lightship, enabling creators to build immersive AR experiences around the globe. Our basketball universe has come to life, as we recently launched one of the most innovative sports games ever, in partnership with the NBA. NBA ALL-World is now live and playable globally! Niantic is an Equal Opportunity employer.
We believe that cultivating a workplace where our people are supported and included is essential to creating great products our community will love. Our mission emphasizes seeking and hiring diverse voices, including those who are traditionally underrepresented in the technology industry, and we consider this to be one of the most important values we hold close.
Niantic is a hybrid first company. We believe that in person interaction and collaboration fosters creativity, a sense of community, and is critical to our future success as a company. Our hybrid work schedules allow for a mix of remote and in-office work.
We're a hard-working, fun, and exciting group who value intellectual curiosity and a passion for problem-solving! We have growing offices located in San Francisco, Sunnyvale, Palo Alto, Bellevue, Los Angeles, Kansas, New York, Miami, London, Tokyo, Hamburg, Hyderabad, and Zurich. #LI-HYBRID
Something looks off?