Software Engineer, Ingress
Niantic’s Ingress game team seeks a Server Software Engineer to build and extend our live game.
The ideal candidate has a love for games and the ability to collaborate with Unity developers, technical artists, and game designers in order to build fun games at scale. We seek engineers with strong decision-making skills, great execution, and a willingness to learn.
You will work on all aspects of the Ingress backend server, from designing RPC protocols to writing game logic to deploying and monitoring the servers. Building systems with security and scalability in mind is a must.
- Design, build, and load test game servers using Java and Niantic's Lightship Platform.
- Debug and extend existing game systems that already operate at scale.
- Work with a small team of engineers, designers, artists, and producers to deliver on a creative vision.
- Design schemas and RPC protocols for scalability, data integrity, and cost.
- Participate in code reviews, technical design reviews, and write unit tests.
- Deploy and monitor production game servers using both Kubernetes and App Engine.
- Always be thinking about our Ingress players and how to make their lives better.
- Collaborate with cross-functional team members and stakeholders, including regular and reliable attendance and participation in meetings.
- Required in-office 3 days on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday.
- BS in Computer Science or other technical major, or equivalent experience.
- Two to five years of proven experience.
- Experience with Google Cloud or AWS.
- Fluent in Java.
- Ability to communicate effectively through written and verbal communications, including synchronous interactions with others.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced hybrid environment and handle stress appropriately and/or ability to solve practical problems and be sufficiently adaptable to handle dynamic situations with little advance notice.
- Experience working on cross-functional teams with ability to communicate effectively through written and verbal communications, including synchronous interactions with others.
- You already enjoy Ingress.
The total compensation package for this position includes a new hire offer base salary range of $142,000 - $185,000 + bonus + equity + benefits.
Individual pay within this salary range is determined by work location and additional factors, including assessed job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can answer any questions about new hire total compensation during the hiring process. An overview of benefit offerings for your location can be found on the careers page.
Join the Niantic team!
Niantic is the world’s leading AR technology company, sparking creative and engaging journeys in the real world. Our products inspire outdoor exploration, exercise, and meaningful social interaction.
Originally formed at Google in 2011, we became an independent company in 2015. Some of our current consumer titles include pioneering global-control game Ingress, record-breaking AR game Pokémon GO, and Pikmin Bloom. In November 2021, we launched our developer platform, Lightship, enabling creators to build immersive AR experiences around the globe. Our basketball universe has come to life, as we recently launched one of the most innovative sports games ever, in partnership with the NBA. NBA ALL-World is now live and playable globally! Niantic is an Equal Opportunity employer.
We believe that cultivating a workplace where our people are supported and included is essential to creating great products our community will love. Our mission emphasizes seeking and hiring diverse voices, including those who are traditionally underrepresented in the technology industry, and we consider this to be one of the most important values we hold close.
Niantic is a hybrid first company. We believe that in person interaction and collaboration fosters creativity, a sense of community, and is critical to our future success as a company. Our hybrid work schedules allow for a mix of remote and in-office work.
We're a hard-working, fun, and exciting group who value intellectual curiosity and a passion for problem-solving! We have growing offices located in San Francisco, Sunnyvale, Palo Alto, Bellevue, Los Angeles, Kansas, New York, Miami, London, Tokyo, Hamburg, Hyderabad, and Zurich. #LI-HYBRID
Something looks off?