Senior Software Engineer, Security
Niantic's Engineering Team seeks a software engineer to improve the security stance of our mobile products. Niantic Engineering leads the advancement of AR and other immersive technologies while building engaging apps for a user base in the billions.
Join our dynamic security team as a Full Stack Software Engineer, where you'll reinforce our game's infrastructure to ensure a fair and engaging experience for players. With a focus on security, you'll take on projects that demand robust, safe code. Your technical expertise will be vital in shaping resilient backend services. If you're self-motivated, adept at solving complex problems, and have an interest in security-oriented projects, we need your skills to help maintain a stable and equitable gaming environment.
- Collaborate with client security engineers and the platform team to design and implement efficient, reliable systems, optimizing for performance and cost-effectiveness.
- Analyze and evaluate the impact of design decisions on scalability and maintenance, ensuring the sustainability of our infrastructure in a high-demand environment.
- Provide ongoing support for legacy projects, and identify areas for improvement. Lead initiatives to innovate, and enhance quality and reliability of the overall system.
- Participate in code reviews, write unit tests, conduct extensive problem solving and maintain up-time for live systems.
- Collaborate with cross-functional team members and stakeholders, including regular and reliable attendance and participation in meetings.
- Required in-office 2 days on Tuesday and Thursday.
- MS in Computer Science or other technical major, or equivalent experience.
- 3+ years of experience building highly scalable, low latency, highly responsive interactive applications.
- Accomplished programmer in Java, C++ and Python in larger teams.
- Fluent in data storage technologies such as PostgreSQL, Spanner, BigQuery.
- Experience with cloud hosting providers, such as Google Cloud, Azure, or AWS, and orchestration environments such as Kubernetes.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced hybrid environment and handle stress appropriately and/or ability to solve practical problems and be sufficiently adaptable to handle dynamic situations with little advance notice.
- Experience working on cross-functional teams with ability to communicate effectively through written and verbal communications, including synchronous interactions with others.
- You have prior experience with developing and maintaining anti-cheat systems either in the desktop or in the mobile gaming industry.
- Experience working on multiplayer networking games or other large scale distributed systems with realtime constraints.
- You have some experience of machine learning and of preparing extensive datasets for machine learning applications.
- In-depth experience working with powerful (Java, C++, C#, Bitcode) code protection platforms such as Metaforic, Strong Codes, Proguard, etc…
- You are capable of understanding the performance / security trade-offs resulting from security-related decisions and are able to balance them accordingly.
- You have strong communication and team skills.
Join the Niantic team!
Niantic's global-scale augmented reality platform and digital map powers spatial computing experiences in the real world. Incubated out of the Maps team at Google, Niantic first created Ingress and then Pokémon GO, a cultural phenomenon and hit game played by tens of millions of people each month. Niantic’s Lightship platform, which powers Pokémon GO, also supports the company's other games including Pikmin Bloom, Peridot and Monster Hunter Now. Developers use Niantic’s platform to build their own AR applications and experiences, either with the Lightship Platform or directly through the web with 8th Wall.
We believe that cultivating a workplace where our people are supported and included is essential to creating great products our community will love. Our mission emphasizes seeking and hiring diverse voices, including those who are traditionally underrepresented in the technology industry, and we consider this to be one of the most important values we hold close.
Niantic is a hybrid first company. We believe that in person interaction and collaboration fosters creativity, a sense of community, and is critical to our future success as a company. Our hybrid work schedules allow for a mix of remote and in-office work.
We're a hard-working, fun, and exciting group who value intellectual curiosity and a passion for problem-solving! We have growing offices located in San Francisco, Sunnyvale, Palo Alto, Bellevue, Kansas, London, Tokyo, Hamburg, Hyderabad, and Zurich. #LI-HYBRID