Staff Software Engineer, AR Platform
Niantic’s mission is to use emerging technology to enrich our experiences as human beings in the physical world. Niantic Engineering leads the advancement of AR and other immersive technologies while creating engaging apps for a user base in the billions. We build products that inspire movement, exploration, and face-to-face social interaction.
We are looking for a Staff Engineer to build the AR platform for mobile and head mounted devices, Lightship ARDK. This platform enables developers to create amazing content with Unity3D and AR Foundation. You will be designing an SDK that integrates computer vision, semantic understanding, and location based features in an easy to use package that developers love. If you have a passion for high quality engineering, performance, design, and mentoring developers, apply today!
- Define and build the SDK that our internal and external developers consume.
- Work closely with Unity and other partners to adapt our platform to their needs and to influence partner roadmaps.
- Drive complex technical solutions across multiple platforms from mobile phones and AR headsets, to Macs and PCs.
- Optimize for mobile execution, participate in code reviews, and write unit tests.
- Collaborate with cross-functional partners to meet internal standards while encouraging strong working relationships with project team members, including regular and reliable attendance and participation in meetings.
- Mentor team members and communicate long-term product and technical vision with the team.
- Lead engineering design discussions, review and break down feature requirements, and actively participate in design and code reviews.
- Required in-office 2 days on Tuesday and Wednesday.
- BS, MS, or PhD in Computer Science, or a related technical field.
- Minimum 5+ years of experience.
- Proficiency in C# and Unity.
- Android and iOS experience building developer SDKs, especially for game engines such as Unity3D or Unreal.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced hybrid environment and handle stress appropriately and/or ability to solve practical problems and be sufficiently adaptable to handle dynamic situations with little advance notice.
- Experience working with cross-functional teams with ability to communicate effectively through written and verbal communications.
- Proficiency in C++.
- Experience designing & building projects independently, especially AR/VR games.
- Experience with architecting and optimizing C++ library for low compute and low memory environments and multi-threaded concurrent development.
The total compensation package for this position includes a new hire offer base salary range of $212,000 - $247,000 + bonus + equity + benefits.
Individual pay within this salary range is determined by work location and additional factors, including assessed job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can answer any questions about new hire total compensation during the hiring process. An overview of benefit offerings for your location can be found on the careers page.
Join the Niantic team!
Niantic's global-scale augmented reality platform and digital map powers spatial computing experiences in the real world. Incubated out of the Maps team at Google, Niantic first created Ingress and then Pokémon GO, a cultural phenomenon and hit game played by tens of millions of people each month. Niantic’s Lightship platform, which powers Pokémon GO, also supports the company's other games including Pikmin Bloom, Peridot and Monster Hunter Now. Developers use Niantic’s platform to build their own AR applications and experiences, either with the Lightship Platform or directly through the web with 8th Wall.
We believe that cultivating a workplace where our people are supported and included is essential to creating great products our community will love. Our mission emphasizes seeking and hiring diverse voices, including those who are traditionally underrepresented in the technology industry, and we consider this to be one of the most important values we hold close.
Niantic is a hybrid first company. We believe that in person interaction and collaboration fosters creativity, a sense of community, and is critical to our future success as a company. Our hybrid work schedules allow for a mix of remote and in-office work.
We're a hard-working, fun, and exciting group who value intellectual curiosity and a passion for problem-solving! We have growing offices located in San Francisco, Sunnyvale, Palo Alto, Bellevue, Kansas, London, Tokyo, Hamburg, Hyderabad, and Zurich. #LI-HYBRID