We're on a mission to make it possible for every person, team, and company to be able to tailor their software to solve any problem and take on any challenge. Computers may be our most powerful tools, but most of us can't build or modify the software we use on them every day. At Notion, we want to change this with focus, design, and craft.
We've been working on this together since 2016, and have customers like Pixar, Mitsubishi, Figma, Plaid, Match Group, and thousands more on this journey with us. Today, we're growing fast and excited for new teammates to join us who are the best at what they do. We're passionate about building a company as diverse and creative as the millions of people Notion reaches worldwide.
Notion is an in person company, and currently requires its employees to come to the office for two Anchor Days (Mondays & Thursdays) and requests that employees spend the majority of their week in the office (including a third day).
About The Role:
Our Tax team is growing and we are looking for a Tax Manager who will play a pivotal role in creating tangible value by minimizing Notion’s tax footprint. As the Tax Manager, you will have the opportunity to work on a multitude of tax projects including U.S. and international direct & indirect tax compliance, planning, and reporting. In this role, you’ll help build a world-class tax function and make a lasting impact on the success and growth of the company.
What You'll Achieve:
- Take a lead in preparing Company’s quarterly ASC 740 (FAS 109) tax provision and related footnote disclosures for SEC filing including the annual effective tax rate, income tax payable, uncertain tax benefits, and foreign tax provision
- Design, maintain and improve the working papers as well as support tax reporting, compliance and internal control requests related to taxes (provision, deferred taxes, current payable, FIN48, etc.)
- Support Notion Accounting team in monthly tax accounts review & reconciliation process
- Support Notion tax return preparation process, including assisting third-party tax return preparers in various return-related initiatives, such as R&D tax credit calculation and transfer pricing documentation
- Support Notion indirect tax function, including sales /use /excise tax, VAT, GST, and other non-income-based taxes.
- Assist with other filings such as state registrations, business licenses and business property tax filings
- Collaborate with the Finance team & cross functional teams on new legislation, industry developments, and action plans
- Participate & assist cross functional teams in ad-hock tax research projects (such as M&A, business tax advisory, tax controversy, audits, & other), as required
- Support tax process documentation and SOX controls
- Keep up-to-date on tax law changes and impact on organization
- Build collaborative working relationships across the organization
Skills You'll Need to Bring:
- 5+ years of public accounting and/or industry accounting experience including income tax accounting and compliance.
- Bachelor's degree in accounting, economics, or finance related field
- Experience with accounting for income taxes (ASC 740)
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment with strong ownership of his/her function
- Results driven with a high level of initiative, teamwork, urgency, accountability and integrity
Nice to Haves:
- CPA/MST preferred
- Indirect /Sales tax compliance experience
- International tax experience
- Experience working in public accounting and in-house at a high-growth company
We hire talented and passionate people from a variety of backgrounds because we want our global employee base to represent the wide diversity of our customers. If you’re excited about a role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every bullet point listed in the job description, we still encourage you to apply. If you’re a builder at heart, share our company values, and enthusiastic about making software toolmaking ubiquitous, we want to hear from you.
Notion is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristic. Notion considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Notion is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please let your recruiter know.
Notion is committed to providing highly competitive cash compensation, equity, and benefits. The compensation offered for this role will be based on multiple factors such as location, the role’s scope and complexity, and the candidate’s experience and expertise, and may vary from the range provided below. For roles based in San Francisco, the estimated base salary range for this role is $150,000- $180,000 per year.