Security Engineer, Infrastructure Security
We're on a mission to make it possible for every person, team, and company to be able to tailor their software to solve any problem and take on any challenge. Computers may be our most powerful tools, but most of us can't build or modify the software we use on them every day. At Notion, we want to change this with focus, design, and craft.
We've been working on this together since 2016, and have customers like Pixar, Mitsubishi, Figma, Plaid, Match Group, and thousands more on this journey with us. Today, we're growing fast and excited for new teammates to join us who are the best at what they do. We're passionate about building a company as diverse and creative as the millions of people Notion reaches worldwide.
Notion is an in person company, and currently requires its employees to come to the office for two Anchor Days (Mondays & Thursdays) and requests that employees spend the majority of their week in the office (including a third day).
About The Role:
Millions of people use Notion, and this number is growing daily. This signifies that a vast user base trusts us to provide a speedy, dependable, and secure experience, something we cherish immensely. Our aim is to continue earning this trust and to constantly surprise our users with the capabilities they can develop within Notion.
The Infrastructure Security team’s mission is to establish foundations for a secure-by-default infrastructure serving all of Notion’s technical stacks. We achieve this by architecting solutions that make the secure path the easy path.
What You'll Achieve:
- Proactively enhance the security posture of our AWS accounts and cloud infrastructure.
- Create secure frameworks for secrets management and AuthN/AuthZ.
- Design and deploy robust Identity and Access Management (IAM) solutions.
- Provide guidance and education on security and privacy best practices to our cross-functional partners.
- Participate in and drive mitigation strategies during security related incident responses.
- Help scale the engineering organization and mentor engineers on best practices in secure software design and architecture.
Skills You'll Need to Bring:
- Security architecture and expertise: You have at least 5 + years of experience building and maintaining systems to secure cloud architectures, ranging from secrets management to Identity and Access Management solutions.
- Backend/Infrastructure Development Experience: You have at least 5 + years of experience writing production-grade code. You can contribute to the codebase and architecture to raise the bar on secure systems design.
- Working in production: You have experience debugging systems in production. You appreciate the skill and challenge of continuously improving production components with minimal user disruption.
- Pragmatic and business-oriented: You care about business impact and prioritize projects accordingly — you model threat risks and balance the right security investments with the right bottom line outcomes.
- Not ideological about technology: To you, technologies and programming languages are about tradeoffs. You may be opinionated, but you're not ideological and can learn new technologies as you go.
- Empathetic communication: You communicate nuanced ideas clearly, whether you're explaining technical decisions in writing or brainstorming in real time. In disagreements, you engage thoughtfully with other perspectives and compromise when needed.
- Team player: For you, work isn't a solo endeavor. You enjoy collaborating cross-functionally to accomplish shared goals, and you care about learning, growing, and helping others to do the same.
Nice to Haves:
- Experience with AWS security practices, IAM, and zero trust architectures.
- Data Security or Privacy Engineering experience.
- Involvement in local or regional security user groups or conferences
We hire talented and passionate people from a variety of backgrounds because we want our global employee base to represent the wide diversity of our customers. If you’re excited about a role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every bullet point listed in the job description, we still encourage you to apply. If you’re a builder at heart, share our company values, and enthusiastic about making software toolmaking ubiquitous, we want to hear from you.
Notion is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristic. Notion considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Notion is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please let your recruiter know.
Notion is committed to providing highly competitive cash compensation, equity, and benefits. The compensation offered for this role will be based on multiple factors such as location, the role’s scope and complexity, and the candidate’s experience and expertise, and may vary from the range provided below. For roles based in San Francisco or New York City, the estimated base salary range for this role is $160,000 - $250,000.