Senior Site Reliability Engineer, Cloud Security
Patreon is the best place for creators to build memberships by providing exclusive access to their work and a deeper connection with their communities. We’re building a content and community platform where creators can engage directly with their fans and monetize their creativity, while maintaining full ownership over the work they make and the communities they create.
We’re leaders in the membership space with 250,000+ active creators and over $3.5 billion paid directly to creators on our platform. Our team is building tools to optimize the creator-to-fan relationship, including native video, enhanced podcasting features, improved creation tools, and new community experiences. We’re continuing to invest heavily in building the most talented team in the Creator Economy and are looking for a senior site reliability engineer, cloud security to support our mission.
This role is US based remote friendly, preference for San Francisco, Seattle, or New York City based candidates.
About the Role
At Patreon, we deal with some of the most sensitive data such as patrons’ payment methods, creators’ financial information to process payouts, along with several other bits of personal information from patrons and creators alike. We process over a billion dollars annually. Our security team takes on the responsibility of protecting and safeguarding this data, and making sure these transactions proceed without being tampered with.
We are looking for a senior site reliability engineer with experience in the cloud security domain. This role allows for remote work.
What you will do:
- Design, Architect and implement solutions to strengthen our infrastructure and corporate security posture.
- Design and deliver solutions that solve real-world security problems.
- Implement and tune security detection and automation for response
- Develop security processes and automated tooling that prevent classes of security issues (ie., SSRF, broken AuthZ, etc.)
- Provide architectural, design and threat-based guidance to software development teams to improve the security posture before code is written
- Perform security assessments of Patreon’s platform, which includes our web application, mobile application, infrastructure, developer tools and internal services
- Respond to and, when appropriate, resolve or escalate security incidents
- Assess, design, implement, automate, and document security solutions and processes for securing K8s, Private Cloud environments, Distributed Systems, and SaaS applications
- Participate in application architecture design, Perform security-focused code reviews, and collaborate with engineering teams to educate them on threats and vulnerabilities applicable to Patreon’s platform
- Be the standard bearer for security at Patreon.
Skills and experience you possess:
- Minimum 4 years of experience as a Security Engineer or Site Reliability Engineer
- Significant technical experience with AWS
- Experience with Python and/or any other additional language
- Deep experience managing and maintaining Web Application Firewalls, PKI, Infrastructure-as-Code tools, and Data sharing services
- Deep experience in cloud native environments
- Working knowledge of container technologies including Docker and Kubernetes
- Experience with the development, deployment, and automation of security solutions in an enterprise cloud-based environment
- Knowledge of network based, system level, and application layer attacks and mitigation methods
- Experience with or understanding of a broad range of security technologies including SIEM, SOAR, PKI, IDS/IPS, IAM, Certificate Management, etc.
- Strong knowledge of technology and security topics including network and application security, infrastructure hardening, security baselines, web server, and database security
- An understanding of identity federation, authentication, and authorization (SAML, OIDC, OAuth)
- Strong understanding of common security libraries, security controls, and common security flaws
- Experience making contributions to security community (i.e. podcasts, blogs, open-source tooling, etc.)
Who You'll Work With:
At Patreon, you'll join a high-performing and highly-empathetic team of people who proudly work on fulfilling our mission of funding the creative class. Our culture of creator-first, thoughtful teammates keeps work creative, stretching, and rewarding.
Patreon powers creators to do what they love and get paid by the people who love what they do. Our team is passionate about making this mission and our core values come to life every day in our work. Through this work, our Patronauts:
- Put Creators First | They’re the reason we’re here. When creators win, we win.
- Build with Craft | We sign our name to every deliverable, just like the creators we serve.
- Make it Happen | We don’t quit. We learn and deliver.
- Win Together | We grow as individuals. We win as a team.
We hire talented and passionate people from different backgrounds across the organization. If you’re excited about a role but your past experience doesn’t match with every bullet point outlined above, we strongly encourage you to apply anyway. If you’re a creator at heart, are energized by our mission, and share our company values, we’d love to hear from you.
Patreon is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other protected class.
Patreon offers a competitive benefits package including and not limited to salary, equity plans, healthcare, unlimited paid time off, company holidays and recharge days, commuter benefits, lifestyle stipends, learning and development stipends, patronage, parental leave, and 401k plan with matching.
The posted range represents the expected salary range for this job requisition and does not include any other potential components of the compensation package, benefits and perks previously outlined. Ultimately, in determining pay, we'll consider your experience, leveling, location and other job-related factors.
Something looks off?