Risk Manager - Customer Oversight (Payments)
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Saturday, January 6, 2024
At Plaid, our mission is to unlock financial freedom for everyone. There has never been a better time than now to start building the future of fintech with us. Plaid powers the tools millions of people rely on to live a healthier financial life. We work with thousands of companies like Venmo, SoFi, and Betterment, several of the Fortune 500, and many of the largest banks to make it easy for people to connect their financial accounts to the apps and services they want to use. Plaid’s network covers 12,000 financial institutions across the US, Canada, UK and Europe. Founded in 2013, the company is headquartered in San Francisco with offices in New York, Washington D.C., London and Amsterdam. #LI-Remote
At Plaid, we're convinced that the way people interact with their finances will drastically improve in the next few years. We’re dedicated to empowering this transformation by building the tools that thousands of developers use to create their own products. Plaid sits in the middle of this ecosystem, and we're the gateway used by our customers to build, launch, and scale FinTech applications that democratize financial services.
The Customer Oversight Team at Plaid is a cross functional team whose responsibility is to enable the business by reducing the likelihood and impact of Customer Risks in the ecosystem while maximizing Customer velocity. In this role, you will be directly responsible for helping Plaid execute, optimize, and scale payments related operational workflows.
The team is searching for a partner that will lead a team that performs customer application reviews, and transaction analysis for possible suspicious activities to ensure compliance with the Bank Secrecy Act, the USA Patriot Act, and the Office of Foreign Assets & Control. This team member will develop, own, and execute against, the operational Customer Oversight roadmap for the U.S. Payments business.
- Partner with ACHOps, Compliance, Legal, Product, Engineering, and GTM to scale and mature Plaid’s Customer Oversight program for the U.S. payments business.
- Develop, own, and execute against, the operational Customer Oversight roadmap for the U.S. Payments business.
- Lead a team of ICs that underwrites for the Transfer product, perform transactions monitoring, and returns monitoring.
- Conduct underwriting for Transfer applications, understanding customer’s use case, and their flow of funds, in-line with Plaid’s risk tolerance for the Payments business.
- Build and maintain highly effective cross functional relationships in a product focused organization.
- Interface directly with GTM teams and prospective customers to ensure an efficient onboarding experience for money movement products.
- Actively identify and exploit opportunities to increase the efficiency and maturity of the customer diligence process for money movement related products.
- Be a strategic partner to Payments Business, and a key resource in developing, implementing, and enhancing internal policies and procedures required of a rapidly evolving payments business.
- 7+ years of experience (3+ years as a people manager) in financial services, preferably with a major payments company, fintech, or a US bank, with operational exposure to ACH Payments, Fraud & Abuse Mitigation, Chargebacks, Sanctions Screening, BSA/AML Compliance, KYC, and KYB.
- Deep context in Payments Fraud, BSA/AML Compliance, KYC, KYB, Sanctions Screening, Onboarding, and Transaction monitoring, preferably in a fintech/hi-tech environment.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong project management skills, and the ability to develop, maintain, and drive a roadmap.
- Strong people management skills, and the ability to hire, retain, guide, motivate, and empower direct reports.
- Capable of driving impact both through a team, and independently.
- High level of proficiency in data manipulation, analysis, reporting, visualization, and business intelligence tools (e.g. SQL, MS Excel, Google Sheets).
- High level of proficiency in commonly used office productivity, communication, and collaboration tools (e.g. Google Workplace, MS Office Suite, Slack).
- Has a high degree of professional security, a growth mindset, and the ability to work in a fast-paced environment meeting deadlines and SLAs.
- Has a high degree of empathy for entrepreneurs and innovators revolutionizing digital financial services.
- Exposure and intellectual curiosity about finance, economics, technology, and fintech.
- Enthusiastic about being part of a highly evolving cross functional team in a rapidly growing organization.
- Looking to make a significant impact on the future of financial services.
Our mission at Plaid is to unlock financial freedom for everyone. To support that mission, we seek to build a diverse team of driven individuals who care deeply about making the financial ecosystem more equitable. We recognize that strong qualifications can come from both prior work experiences and lived experiences. We encourage you to apply to a role even if your experience doesn't fully match the job description. We are always looking for team members that will bring something unique to Plaid!
Plaid is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and values diversity at our company. We do not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, ethnicity, religion or religious belief, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, military or veteran status, disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state, and local laws. Plaid is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance with your application or interviews due to a disability, please let us know at email@example.com.
Please review our Candidate Privacy Notice here.