Senior Compliance Officer (UK)
Pleo’s Risk & Compliance team, is looking for reinforcements to help us maintain high standards of compliance and security - whether it’s for our customers, our regulators (the Danish Financial Supervisory Authority and the UK’s Financial Conduct Authority), our partners, our investors (present and future) or our employees and internal stakeholders.
We’re a great team with background in law, risk and anti-money laundering and we have already made significant progress in setting the foundation for building out a solid and charismatic function with the ability to keep this rocket ship on the right trajectory, while also making sure we keep on loving our jobs.
Pleo is a regulated financial services institution (EMI) operating on EU and UK markets. Still, as the company grows and scales faster and faster, we must remain at least a step or two ahead to ensure that growth happens without sacrificing any hard-won security. And that’s where you come in 👋
We are looking for someone with a strong background in compliance who’s ready to collaborate with the Risk & Compliance and AML orientated parts of the organisation (including our risk and compliance committees) as well as with first line business functions. It is all to make sure we’re controlling what needs to be controlled, mitigating what needs to be mitigated, reporting what needs to be reported, and that we’ve got the right policies and procedures to comply with.
This position is a big deal, and you will be a crucial colleague who will learn everything about our rocket ship inside and out 🚀 We expect compliance and governance to be one of the shiniest tools in your professional toolbox.
Risk & Compliance Manager (UK)
Sitting within Pleo’s 2nd Line of Defence and reporting to the Group Chief Risk Officer this role will focus on leading Pleo’s approach to general compliance & risk management in the United Kingdom, with a particular focus on:
- Ensuring and evidencing compliance with general UK regulations & guidelines as well as regulator expectations as regards Pleo’s authorised activities;
- Supporting the Pleo Group’s Risk Management & Compliance Monitoring activities in the UK;
- Providing independent 2nd Line assurance & challenge to business units as regards UK issues.
The role sits outside Pleo’s 2nd Line Financial Crime function, however supporting this function may be required from time to time.
Things you will be doing include:
- Developing, conducting and overseeing Pleo’s UK Compliance Monitoring Programme.
- Knowing Pleo’s policies and relevant procedures inside-out and the laws and regulations behind them (with UK focus).
- Supporting the team in structuring, revising, and developing policies and governance documents and designing, conducting, and documenting process reviews.
- Engaging across the business at all levels as we grow to ensure risk and compliance is part of everything we do. You will present considered and balanced opinions, findings and recommendations.
- Ensuring delivery of clear and concise Compliance Reports to relevant stakeholders, including UK Executive Committee, Risk and Compliance Committees and the Board.
- Regularly report to, attend and advise Pleo’s UK Executive Management Committee & UK Risk & Compliance Committees.
- Providing 2nd Line oversight and support to different functions and helping embed a substantial Risk & Compliance culture continuously.
- Providing subject matter expertise to the business in identifying, assessing, prioritising, and managing risk.
- Supporting management and operations with problem solving on regulatory matters.
- Preparing and delivering training regarding UK regulatory compliance to relevant employees.
- Assist in managing relationship with key UK regulators and partners, including managing requests, responding in a timely fashion and ensuring coordination with internal stakeholders
- Collaborate with Pleo’s Group Legal function to horizon scan for changes in UK laws and regulations and recommend appropriate changes to ensure that operations adapt to comply with these changes.
What is needed to succeed:
- Ability to navigate through the organisation and identify relevant stakeholders and functions.
- You can easily explain complex regulatory or technical requirements in a simple way to a wide range of stakeholders.
- Great communication skills, both written and oral.
- Ability to work in remote setup with stakeholders in different locations.
- Analytical skills and ability to really focus.
- An excellent work ethic and keen attention to detail.
- A growth mindset and the drive to jump into a rapidly growing company.
- At least 5 years of experience working with governance and compliance in regulated financial institutions.
- Experience in publicly listed companies will be a plus.
Show me the benefits!
- Your own Pleo card (no more out-of-pocket spending!)
- Lunch is on us - with catering in our London office 🍜
- Private health insurance to ensure you’re fit in body and mind to do your best work
- In UK, we offer 25 days of holiday + your public holidays
- For our Risk & Compliance team we offer full flexibility around remote working
- Option to purchase 5 additional days of holiday through a salary sacrifice
- Wellbeing days - fully paid days off designed for a slower pace, allowing you to take time to recharge and prioritise self-care
- We’re trialling MyndUp to give our employees access to free mental health and wellbeing support with great success so far ❤️🩹
- Access to LinkedIn Learning - acquire new skills, stay abreast of industry trends and fuel your personal and professional development continuously
- Paid parental leave - we want to make sure that we're supportive of families and help you feel that you don't have to compromise your family due to work 👶
- All of us have a stake in Pleo’s success - ask us about our equity grant scheme
Why join us?
Working at Pleo means you're working on something very exciting: the future of work. Our mission is to help every company go beyond the books. Pleo itself means ‘more than you’d expect’, and it’s been the secret to our success over the last 8 years. So it’s only fitting that we’d pass this philosophy onto our customers to help them make the most of their finances.
We think company spending should be delegated to all employees and teams, that it should be as automated as possible, and that it should drive a culture of responsible spending. Finance teams shouldn’t be siloed from the rest of the organisation – they should work in unity with marketing, sales, IT and everyone else.
Speaking of working in unity, our values tell the story of how we work at Pleo. We have four core values, the first of which is ‘champion the customer’, which means we address real pain points that businesses face. Next up is ‘succeed as a team’, which highlights how our strength lies in our diversity and trust in each other. We also ‘make it happen’ by taking bold decisions and following through to deliver results. Last but not least, we ‘build to scale’, creating lasting solutions that address today’s challenges and anticipate tomorrow’s needs.
So, in a nutshell, that's Pleo. Today we are a 850+ team, from over 100 nations, sitting in our Copenhagen HQ, London, Stockholm, Berlin, Madrid, Montreal and Lisbon offices —and quite a few full-time remotes in 35 other countries! Being HQ'd out of Copenhagen means we're inspired by things like a good work-life balance. If you don't work in the office with us, we'll help you set up the best remote setup possible and make sure you still have time to connect with your team.
About your application
- Please submit your application in English; it’s our company language so you’ll be speaking lots of it if you join 💕
- We treat all candidates equally: If you are interested please apply through our application system - any correspondence should come from there! Our lovely support isn't able to pass on any calls/ emails our way - and this makes sure that the candidate experience is smooth and fair to everyone 😊
- We’re on a mission to make everyone feel valued at work. That’s only achievable if our team reflects the diversity of the world around us - and that starts with you, hitting apply, even if you are worried you might not tick all the boxes! We embrace and encourage people from all backgrounds to apply - regardless of race/ethnicity, colour, religion, nationality, gender, sex, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, neurodiversity, socio-economic status, culture or beliefs.
- When you submit an application we process your personal data as a data processor. Find out more about how your data is used in the FAQs section at the bottom of our jobs page.