Legal Counsel - Regulatory
Pleo's vision is to make everyone feel valued at work; we are on a mission to become the go-to spending solution for forward-thinking teams everywhere
We are creating a product to facilitate business spending through a simple solution for everyone involved: employees, the finance controller, the bookkeeper, and managers. No. More. Receipts!
On the technical side, we’re pleased to say FinTech is not just a brand for us; it's who we are: Pleo is both an e-money institution with a licence issued by the Danish Financial Supervisory Authority and a technology company developing payment services solutions striving to deliver “more than the expected” (the actual meaning of the name; Pleo).
In this role, you’ll be an integral part of our Insights & Acceleration Domain, working closely with finance and strategy colleagues to enable business growth, scalability and key strategic initiatives to drive accelerated and sustainable growth. As a Legal Counsel, you will be a trusted advisor and business partner across multiple areas, particularly using your regulatory law expertise.
As this is a new role, you will have a unique opportunity to scope out how to approach the opportunities ahead.
So you wonder what is the role all about?
Your daily “To-do” list will look like this, but not limited:
- Conduct pragmatic risk assessments and provide clear and concise advice to business stakeholders.
- Partner directly with business teams, act as primary legal advisor to your business partners, drive and manage projects independently.
- Act as subject matter expert for all regulatory matters (focus UK) within the Pleo legal department.
- Advise the organisation in all things regulatory and ensure that the Pleo is and remains legally compliant in any market where it is active.
- Support with Pleo product launches.
- Advance excellence by maturing legal processes to drive innovation in the organisation whilst remaining legally compliant.
- Provide support on various new compliance and regulatory requirements.
- Work as part of a team and develop and mentor junior legal counsels.
You’ll thrive in this role if you...
- Are a fully qualified lawyer in the UK.
- Have demonstrated experience working with regulated companies in the finance/fintech industry (if it’s in a start-up or scale-up, we’ll be thrilled!).
- You have 5+ years of experience applying financial laws and regulations, whether in-house or in private practice.
- Experience in GDPR and data protection would be a bonus.
- You have the ability to distill complex legal and regulatory advice into understandable and actionable guidance for non-lawyers.
- Are comfortable and adept at balancing risk and opportunity and thinking creatively to enable your colleagues to make smart decisions.
- Have experience structuring and executing special projects across multiple jurisdictions.
- Enjoy collaborating and engaging with multiple different teams across Pleo.
Show me the benefits!
- Your own Pleo card (no more out-of-pocket spending!)
- Lunch is on us - with catering in our Lisbon, Copenhagen and London offices or a monthly lunch allowance paid directly together with your salary in other markets 🍜
- Private health insurance to ensure you’re fit in body and mind to do your best work
- We offer 25 days of holiday + your public holidays
- For our Legal we offer remote working options
- Option to purchase 5 additional days of holiday through a salary sacrifice
- Wellbeing days - fully paid days off designed for a slower pace, allowing you to take time to recharge and prioritise self-care
- We’re trialling MyndUp to give our employees access to free mental health and wellbeing support with great success so far ❤️🩹
- Access to LinkedIn Learning - acquire new skills, stay abreast of industry trends and fuel your personal and professional development continuously
- Paid parental leave - we want to make sure that we're supportive of families and help you feel that you don't have to compromise your family due to work 👶
- All of us have a stake in Pleo’s success - ask us about our equity grant scheme
Why join us?
Working at Pleo means you're working on something very exciting: the future of work. Our mission is to help every company go beyond the books. Pleo itself means ‘more than you’d expect’, and it’s been the secret to our success over the last 8 years. So it’s only fitting that we’d pass this philosophy onto our customers to help them make the most of their finances.
We think company spending should be delegated to all employees and teams, that it should be as automated as possible, and that it should drive a culture of responsible spending. Finance teams shouldn’t be siloed from the rest of the organisation – they should work in unity with marketing, sales, IT and everyone else.
Speaking of working in unity, our values tell the story of how we work at Pleo. We have four core values, the first of which is ‘champion the customer’, which means we address real pain points that businesses face. Next up is ‘succeed as a team’, which highlights how our strength lies in our diversity and trust in each other. We also ‘make it happen’ by taking bold decisions and following through to deliver results. Last but not least, we ‘build to scale’, creating lasting solutions that address today’s challenges and anticipate tomorrow’s needs.
So, in a nutshell, that's Pleo. Today we are a 850+ team, from over 100 nations, sitting in our Copenhagen HQ, London, Stockholm, Berlin, Madrid, Montreal and Lisbon offices —and quite a few full-time remotes in 35 other countries! Being HQ'd out of Copenhagen means we're inspired by things like a good work-life balance. If you don't work in the office with us, we'll help you set up the best remote setup possible and make sure you still have time to connect with your team.
About your application
- Please submit your application in English; it’s our company language so you’ll be speaking lots of it if you join 💕
- We treat all candidates equally: If you are interested please apply through our application system - any correspondence should come from there! Our lovely support isn't able to pass on any calls/ emails our way - and this makes sure that the candidate experience is smooth and fair to everyone 😊
- We’re on a mission to make everyone feel valued at work. That’s only achievable if our team reflects the diversity of the world around us - and that starts with you, hitting apply, even if you are worried you might not tick all the boxes! We embrace and encourage people from all backgrounds to apply - regardless of race/ethnicity, colour, religion, nationality, gender, sex, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, neurodiversity, socio-economic status, culture or beliefs.
- When you submit an application we process your personal data as a data processor. Find out more about how your data is used in the FAQs section at the bottom of our jobs page.