Product Engineer (Backend), Agent
With Postman Live Insights, our vision is to help guide a developer with little previous experience—in both the system being monitored and the Postman API Platform—to productively find and fix issues. Our goal is to be able to help any developer locate API endpoints causing potential issues within 30 minutes of signing up for an account. This will empower even a new developer to find and fix issues in their first days on the job, as easily as they can call an API today.
We’ve been working towards the early access launch of Live Insights. Today, the alpha launch focuses on the Live Collections Agent, which passively watches your API traffic to automatically populate a Postman collection with API endpoints. Within just 15 minutes of installing the Live Collections Agent in staging or production, you’ll start seeing endpoints show up in your collection. The Live Collections Agent will keep these endpoints up to date based on new observed traffic.
API discovery is just the beginning of what we hope to offer. Coming soon: the ability to explore automatically updated API endpoints based on error, latency, and volume. In the next months, we’re planning to work with our early users to figure out how to surface this information in the most helpful ways.
Who Are We?
Postman is the world’s leading API platform, used by more than 25 million developers and 500,000 organizations, including 98% of the Fortune 500. Postman is helping developers and professionals across the globe build the API-first world by simplifying each step of the API lifecycle and streamlining collaboration—enabling users to create better APIs, faster.
The company is headquartered in San Francisco and has an office in Bangalore, where it was founded. Postman is privately held, with funding from Battery Ventures, BOND, Coatue, CRV, Insight Partners, and Nexus Venture Partners. Learn more at postman.com or connect with Postman on Twitter via @getpostman.
P.S: We highly recommend reading The "API-First World" graphic novel to understand the bigger picture and our vision at Postman.
What You’ll Do:
- Build client configuration and usability features in the Live Collections Agent: install automation, remote configuration, telemetry, daemon mode, configuration
- Build integrations for capturing API traffic: packet capture and possibly Envoy, Istio, Consul, and API gateways
- Optimize CPU and memory usage of packet capture
- Help develop and implement a plan for deploying eBPF usably in the Live Collections Agent
- Work with docs and marketing to help users understand agent deployment in different environments (K8s, PaaS, IaaS, etc.)
- 3+ years of software development experience.
- Track record of delivery. Impressive portfolio of past projects launched.
- Experience working independently. 2+ substantial past projects where they were the sole contributor responsible for delivering large parts of the work.
- Experience working with 2+ technologies related to this role: K8s, ECS, EC2, eBPF, Docker, or Go performance.
Nice To Have:
- Experience working on a 0-to-1 product.
- Experience working on developer tools.
- Experience working on command-line interfaces.
- Experience with PaaS platforms and infrastructure-as-a-service.
- Based in Pacific Time
At Postman, we create with the same curiosity that we see in our users. We value transparency & honest communication about not only successes, but also failures. In our work, we focus on specific goals that add up to a larger vision. Our inclusive work culture ensures that everyone is valued equally as important pieces of our final product. We are dedicated to delivering the best products we can.
If the role is based in the San Francisco Bay Area, the reasonably estimated salary for this role ranges from $181,050 to $244,950, plus a competitive equity package. Salary ranges can differ outside of the San Francisco Bay Area and the U.S. and can be requested at any time in the process. Actual compensation is based on the candidate's skills, qualifications, and experience. In addition to our pay-on-performance philosophy, we offer a comprehensive set of benefits, including full medical coverage, flexible PTO, wellness reimbursement, and a monthly lunch stipend.
Postman is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status. Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. Postman does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes. Postman will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Postman.