Staff Engineer (Backend)
Who Are We?
Postman is the world’s leading API platform, used by more than 25 million developers and 500,000 organizations, including 98% of the Fortune 500. Postman is helping developers and professionals across the globe build the API-first world by simplifying each step of the API lifecycle and streamlining collaboration—enabling users to create better APIs, faster.
The company is headquartered in San Francisco and has an office in Bangalore, where it was founded. Postman is privately held, with funding from Battery Ventures, BOND, Coatue, CRV, Insight Partners, and Nexus Venture Partners. Learn more at postman.com or connect with Postman on Twitter via @getpostman.
P.S: We highly recommend reading The "API-First World" graphic novel to understand the bigger picture and our vision at Postman.
The Postman Public API Network is the world’s largest repository of APIs, with tens of thousands of APIs to check the weather, look up sports scores, book events, plan travel, send payments, and more. As developers, we know there’s no better feeling in the world than seeing your code work, especially when you’re integrating with someone else’s API. We’re making it easy for developers to achieve that outcome as quickly as possible.
This is a hybrid position based in New York City. As a standalone business with Postman, we build fast, learn while doing it, and most importantly, have fun!
What You’ll Do:
- Lead the design, build, and implementation of backend architecture to ensure the continued scale of the public API network. In the process, you’ll proactively identify and resolve any technical risk to the business.
- Be a mentor to junior engineers, review code, and be a shining example for writing high-quality code
- Set and maintain a high bar for operational excellence.
- Work hand-in-hand with other developers, product managers, and customers to build amazing user experiences.
- Work closely with senior leadership to set our roadmap and strategy.
- Be a founding member of the NYC-based team.
- 15+ years of experience writing production code and maintaining production systems.
- Deep understanding of distributed systems and cloud architectures.
- Demonstrated ability to lead complex technical projects.
- Strong analytical and debugging skills.
- Passionate about mentoring and fostering a collaborative team environment.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- You’re mission-oriented, care about the details, and like to move fast.
- Experience working in a two-sided network is a plus.
- Experience working with NodeJS and TypeScript is a plus.
At Postman, we create with the same curiosity that we see in our users. We value transparency & honest communication about not only successes, but also failures. In our work, we focus on specific goals that add up to a larger vision. Our inclusive work culture ensures that everyone is valued equally as important pieces of our final product. We are dedicated to delivering the best products we can.
This role is based in the greater New York City area, and the reasonably estimated salary for this role ranges from $207,400 to $280,600, plus a competitive equity package. Actual compensation is based on the candidate's skills, qualifications, and experience. In addition to our pay-on-performance philosophy, we offer a comprehensive set of benefits, including full medical coverage, flexible PTO, wellness reimbursement, and a monthly lunch stipend. Salaries will vary outside of the listed metropolitan areas & the U.S.
Postman is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status. Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. Postman does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes. Postman will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Postman.