Staff Design Criteria Engineer
Relativity is the first and only company to automate aerospace manufacturing by integrating intelligent robotics, software, and proprietary metal 3D printing technology. Disrupting 60 years of aerospace, Relativity offers a radically simplified supply chain, building a rocket with 100x fewer parts in less than 60 days. Our long-term goal is to upgrade humanity’s industrial base on Earth and on Mars.
The Integrated Performance department is responsible for ensuring that Relativity’s rockets will achieve our objectives. Our department comprises teams responsible for Flight Sciences, including Aerodynamics, Thermal Science, Loads, and Dynamics; Vehicle Simulation & Performance; Guidance, Navigation, and Control (GNC); and Systems Engineering. Our teams architect and execute analysis, simulation, and test projects for all of Relativity’s hardware and software teams in pursuit of mission success.
What you’ll do:
As a Staff Design Criteria Engineer, you will be responsible for ensuring that hardware and concepts of operation meet or exceed requirements. In short, you’ll be the glue between our analysis, test, certification, and design teams, helping to connect the technical dots and solve problems across our vehicle programs.
Projects and responsibilities will include:
- Develop the design criteria tools and methodology roadmap, helping align the needs of the various groups and the overall project needs
- Provide subject matter expertise to design criteria team
- Own design criteria methodologies minimizing overdesign by partnering with groups across the company such as: flight sciences, avionics, propulsion, structures, and fluids.
- Develop methodologies to combine structural loads while considering various environmental inputs
- Integrate flight hardware-specific inputs from flight sciences and vehicle operations to enable optimal designs
- Collaborate with responsible engineers throughout the entire design process, ensuring design criteria are properly considered in the development of reusable hardware
- Provide guidance and approval for qualification and acceptance test campaigns in preparation for flight
- Build, modify, or eliminate engineering tools, process, and standards to support an efficient, product-focused culture for Terran R
To be successful in this role, you should be self-motivated, adaptable, energized by collaboration, and able to contribute significantly to a fast-paced, integrated vehicle program. You should also be able to resolve ambiguity between different technical teams and drive projects to completion. Ideally, you have Design Criteria, Mechanical Design, or Aerospace Design experience as well as a proven track record of delivery in a highly collaborative environment.
What you need to know:
- An undergraduate degree in engineering or related field and 10+ years relevant experience
- Expertise in developing and managing design criteria
- Experience performing cross-functional engineering and integration for systems subject to complex requirements
- Experience solving difficult problems with multiple stakeholders in a fast-paced environment
- Proven track record of contributing to project completion
- Highly skilled in mechanical engineering design and analysis
- Ability to read and understand software-based analysis tools
- Demonstrable written and oral technical communication skills
Nice to haves but not required:
- Graduate degree (MS/PhD) in engineering or related field and 10+ years of experience
- Hands-on experience in the design, integration, test, and operation of space vehicles or large complex systems
- History of taking an aerospace product from concept to production to flight
- Strong desire to learn new subjects in order to solve difficult and often ambiguous challenges
- Experience administrating Atlassian platforms like Confluence and Jira
Relativity Space offers competitive salary and equity, a generous vacation policy, an annual L&D stipend and more!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Compensation is only one part of our entire total rewards package. To see some of the benefits & perks we offer, please visit here: https://px.sequoia.com/relativityspace
Something looks off?